Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GRS and Ganymede shadow... right now

iPeace

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Pondus said:

Yeah. Io and Saturn.....

No clouds and a New eyepiece to be tested.

Still a good hour till sunset though

Just to be clear, I did mean that Saturn will be rising within view - separate from Jupiter.

:rolleyes2:

Good luck, hope the new eyepiece works for you!

Just now, iPeace said:

Just to be clear, I did mean that Saturn will be rising within view - separate from Jupiter.

:rolleyes2:

Good luck, hope the new eyepiece works for you!

Oh. Saturn wont cast a shadow on Jupiter or vice versa? :p.

Say, may I ask what latitude you are observing from tonite? 

You may get reasonable good views of Saturn, if you decide to spend the night observing night sky that is....

6 minutes ago, Pondus said:

Say, may I ask what latitude you are observing from tonite? 

You may get reasonable good views of Saturn, if you decide to spend the night observing night sky that is....

Let's see, if I read correctly, 36º 22' 33.8" N, does that make sense to you? I can actually see Saturn now, still low in the murk above the sea.

18 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Let's see, if I read correctly, 36º 22' 33.8" N, does that make sense to you? I can actually see Saturn now, still low in the murk above the sea.

Should be great when it transits the meridian, should be over 31 degrees above the horizon.

Strangely SkySafari still has it below the horizon?

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Should be great when it transits the meridian, should be over 31 degrees above the horizon.

Strangely SkySafari still has it below the horizon?

Hm...my copy of SkySafari (all your fault, Stu :grin:, me using this) at "current location" shows Saturn well above the horizon, just where Moose says it is.

2 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Hm...my copy of SkySafari (all your fault, Stu :grin:, me using this) at "current location" shows Saturn well above the horizon, just where Moose says it is.

Sure you are right Mike, it's just when I put 36. something degrees North in it shows it below the horizon. Wierd, must be doing something wrong.

Apologies for introducing you to it :);) 

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Sure you are right Mike, it's just when I put 36. something degrees North in it shows it below the horizon. Wierd, must be doing something wrong.

Apologies for introducing you to it :);) 

I'm quite short on all this lat/long stuff, just relating what the phone tells me. But if Pondus can guess that close it should be correct.

SkySafari is great stuff.

:thumbright:

2 minutes ago, iPeace said:

I'm quite short on all this lat/long stuff, just relating what the phone tells me. But if Pondus can guess that close it should be correct.

SkySafari is great stuff.

:thumbright:

No matter, just enjoy the views :) 

I'll hopefully get a minute to check out the io transit later.

Regarding saturn I notice Jupiter and Saturn have a close encounter around Christmas 2020 but they will be quite close to the sun.

Archived