SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dark Skies....Fforest Fields

Freff

Staying at a campsite just outside Builth Wells called Fforest Fields.

I have had my eye on it for a while as a potential dark skies venue for long weekends.

I must say I am not disappointed. Even though the moon is not at an ideal phase at present, and the site's amenities block is close by, the skies last night were fantastic.

Even with the seeing not being great with some moisture in the air, the stars were astonishingly bright, and trying to make out the constellations proved very difficult.

I would say with confidence that the sky last night was better than I have ever seen at Pencelli.

There is very little light from the campsite itself, and with selective pitching it could almost be eliminated.  

It sounds nice there then Tony I remember you saying about going to visit the site when you came down & visited me a couple of weeks ago, What's the amenities like there & the prices? Although I'd imagine they would be lower out of season anyway.

The amenities block is very good with a small shop and cafe for outdoor eating or take back to van/tent.

We paid £24 per night inclusive. I imagine it would be cheaper off season.

The only draw back I found is you can't book a pitch. You just turn up and choose a pitch. You can phone and say you will be arriving on a certain date and ask for a prefered pitch. They will try their best to accommodate you. When I queried this the reason was,  because they don't ask for a booking deposit they had been let down in the past by people booking specific pitches and just not turning up, resulting in that pitch being unsold. 

It's a well kept family run sites with good grass, gravel and pea shingle  pitches well laid out.

4 hours ago, Freff said:

........the stars were astonishingly bright, and trying to make out the constellations proved very difficult............. 

I have that problem sometimes, just relying on my 8x40s to take it all in. Hide that Moon and the Starlight may well  even cast a shadow if you hold your arms out,  as it does up here. Only wish it was always over head at my garden, I need to walk about 200 to get shielded from street lighting, drive about 1 mile to get what your seeing, and about 40 mins drive to get lost somewhere in the  wilds between Grantown-On-Spey, Inverness and Elgin. So many places to explore, such unique skies when the conditions and weather allows?

Just had a peek outside and Ursa Major is overhead, I can just make out the primary Stars, as tonight its partly cloudy but still not really dark enough, and  still quite light towards the NNE and its past midnight, the twilight season for me, only to get worse over the next few weeks/months. 

The darker winter months are the best time up here.

13 hours ago, Freff said:

Staying at a campsite just outside Builth Wells called Fforest Fields.

I have had my eye on it for a while as a potential dark skies venue for long weekends.

I must say I am not disappointed. Even though the moon is not at an ideal phase at present, and the site's amenities block is close by, the skies last night were fantastic.

Even with the seeing not being great with some moisture in the air, the stars were astonishingly bright, and trying to make out the constellations proved very difficult.

I would say with confidence that the sky last night was better than I have ever seen at Pencelli.

There is very little light from the campsite itself, and with selective pitching it could almost be eliminated.  

Sounds interesting Tony. Would it be a good site for imaging?

May give it a go when we get astronomical darkness back.

Is there a website/map for this campsite?

10 hours ago, Charic said:

I have that problem sometimes, just relying on my 8x40s to take it all in. Hide that Moon and the Starlight may well  even cast a shadow if you hold your arms out,  as it does up here. Only wish it was always over head at my garden, I need to walk about 200 to get shielded from street lighting, drive about 1 mile to get what your seeing, and about 40 mins drive to get lost somewhere in the  wilds between Grantown-On-Spey, Inverness and Elgin. So many places to explore, such unique skies when the conditions and weather allows?

Just had a peek outside and Ursa Major is overhead, I can just make out the primary Stars, as tonight its partly cloudy but still not really dark enough, and  still quite light towards the NNE and its past midnight, the twilight season for me, only to get worse over the next few weeks/months. 

The darker winter months are the best time up here.

I feel your pain. I live in very LP'd area and have to travel to get really dark skies.

Last night again proved the potential of this site, albeit in short spells between the rain. 

As you sat Ursa Major was right above, and I was able to see it clearly through the caravan's large skylight as I lay in bed. 

2 hours ago, reddoss said:

Sounds interesting Tony. Would it be a good site for imaging?

May give it a go when we get astronomical darkness back.

Is there a website/map for this campsite?

I think it would be brilliant for imaging. 

Similar to Pencelli it has it's gentle hillsides and trees, (it is in the Cambrian mountains) but selecting a pitch for your targets should be easy.

Simply google Fforest Fields Campsite for all the info. 

If you want to go there one day for a recce, let me know and we could go together.

Looks interesting, Jill & I would be up for a visit.

Just got back from a week in the caravan in dartmoor, no idea how dark the skies were cos it didn't stop raining all week.....(even got hailed on at the top of Hounds Tor) 

Just got back from a good recce of the site. 

It would easily accommodate SGL events, except for the cafe.

Loads of open flat space with electrics.  

54 minutes ago, MickD said:

Looks interesting, Jill & I would be up for a visit.

Just got back from a week in the caravan in dartmoor, no idea how dark the skies were cos it didn't stop raining all week.....(even got hailed on at the top of Hounds Tor) 

Sorry to hear about you wet week Mick.

You would both love it here.

I read 'Camping' magazine and Frorest Fields gets numerous mentions with it being popular amongst campers for being very good and it has gained various accolades, and awards over the years. I presume it would get very busy during school holidays etc but that shouldn't bother the astronomer seeking dark skies in the spring and autumn months. 

I read a similar article in a caravan magazine which prompted me to take a look. 

I'm sure it would be busy during the hols and the big events at Builth Wells.

Having said that, there is an event on at present at the Builth Wells Show Ground, but plenty of spaces available.

Most have gone home now though.    

Only closing from Jan 4th - March 1st it gives a very extended period for astronomy. 

Hmmmmm you've certainly got me interested in going there Tony although I haven't booked the week off in October yet Tony sooo very tempted now.

2 hours ago, Freff said:

I read a similar article in a caravan magazine which prompted me to take a look. 

I'm sure it would be busy during the hols and the big events at Builth Wells.

Having said that, there is an event on at present at the Builth Wells Show Ground, but plenty of spaces available.

Most have gone home now though.    

Only closing from Jan 4th - March 1st it gives a very extended period for astronomy. 

Only closes for Jan and Feb, that's  brill for astronomy. Definitely going to take a look sometime Tony, will let you know when.

14 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

Lucksall is a disapointment to anyone coming from the dark skies of Mid Wales!

Yes you are right. Lucksall for me has never been about the skies, it has been the social and learning aspect  for me.

Mid Wales has always been about dark skies and stunning countryside. 

1 hour ago, reddoss said:

Only closes for Jan and Feb, that's  brill for astronomy. Definitely going to take a look sometime Tony, will let you know when.

I'm coming here again in June for 7 nights Justyn. You are always welcome to come for a visit, as is anyone from the gang. :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

We have visited Fforest Fields a few times this year. If you avoid bank and school holidays you shouldn't have a problem choosing a pitch on the periphery. If you don't require an electric hookup then you can virtually choose where you need to be. As stated it is a really good location and I believe it can be accessed through out the year. It is worth noting that a little south of here, about 20 minutes south of Talgarth at Cwm du is a caravan/camping site that twice a year has a weekend for astronomers only. All lights are turned off or covered over. (We saw a recent meteor shower from here in the summer).

1 hour ago, reddoss said:

If the weather plays ball, I may have a few nights up at Fforest Fields in November around the time of the new moon 18th and 19th.

Justyn

That's the weekend I have chosen Justyn.

Archived