Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adding a guidescope bracket/base onto an OTA?

I was using my ED80 to guide my 250px  but it's just a bit heavy when it's all piggybacked and cameras etc are added, especially when I regularly swop it for the solar scope. I now use my ED80 guided by an ST80.

So I haven't been imaging with the Newtonian since I can't guide it.  I was thinking I could add my new 60mm mak to my 250px to use as a guidescope. 

I bought a vixen style saddle which I intend to attach directly to the OTA, and mount the mak by its integral dovetail.

I was gonna mount it opposite the focuser/finderscope.

Alternatively I could mount it on a bar on top of the 250px rings as I have a 1" square aluminum bar made up.  The white rings aren't there any more in the photo below.

Any suggestions/better ideas or should this work ok?

Thank you

Adam. 

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_3137.JPG

IMG_3499.JPG

6 minutes ago, carastro said:

I have mounted an ST80 on top of a bar/on top of the mounting rings before and it was fine.  

Carole 

I had an ED80 on the bar too but want to really minimise weight so was just going attach the mak directly to the OTA itself. 

4 minutes ago, Philip R said:

I would think your 'baby Mak' would be a bit heavy too. Also don't forget that Mak's have a narrow field of view and is slow at about f/12. 

The mak weighs under 700g, so not sure if your reply was tongue in cheek lol

Its F/11 but I guess would be ok for guiding none the less with the DMK?

Another option would be to use the actual finderscope as the guide scope, but I was going to use the mak just because I have it. 

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

The mak weighs under 700g, so not sure if your reply was tongue in cheek lol

Its F/11 but I guess would be ok for guiding none the less with the DMK?

Slow for a guide scope I would think!

Archived