Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Model Maker problems with Maxim DL

Physopto

A question for anyone using Per Frejvall's Model maker and Maxim DL.

I have had this problem since I first started using Model Maker. I asked Per about it over a year ago but he could not see how it was happening. Unfortunately with his passing, I did not feel it was right to persue it here on SGL for a while.

What happens is after I have used Model Maker and got my polar alignment sorted, when I try to disconnect it from Maxim DL it shuts down as you may expect but also disconnects the camera in Maxim DL. According to Per this cannot happen, yet it does every time. So shutting down the Model Maker connection to Maxim DL causes the camera to disconnect from Maxim DL without any warm up period for the CCD chip. To do the neccessary I have to go into the setup tab in Maxim DL and perform a phased shut down and warm up of the CCd to prevent thermal shock to the sensor. Then when at the correct temperature I shut down the camera and then shut down Model Maker. I have spent copious amounts of time trying to find out why to no avail.

So anyone out there with any ideas please let me know your thoughts. Everything else works well barring this anomaly. I may have missed some setting in Maxim, but just cannot find it.

It is Maxim DL 6.11 that I am using. But the same happens in version 5.

Thanks,

Derek

Hi Derek, I have to admit that I've never bothered to shut down Modelmaker after modelling and  just leave it on when I start imaging, no idea what effect if any it has on anything.

As mine is permanently set up I don't do a model very often but as it happens I've got all the scopes off it ATM so when I set it up again I'll try it and see what happens, looks like I may get some clear sky midweek fingers crossed.

ATB

Dave

5 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Hi Derek, I have to admit that I've never bothered to shut down Modelmaker after modelling and  just leave it on when I start imaging, no idea what effect if any it has on anything.

As mine is permanently set up I don't do a model very often but as it happens I've got all the scopes off it ATM so when I set it up again I'll try it and see what happens, looks like I may get some clear sky midweek fingers crossed.

ATB

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Just to be safe make sure your camera is not cooled before you try it. Suddenly going  from -20 deg C to off is not recommended for the ccd chip. Per said it could not happen but it does every time for me.

Derek

I always had this problem too when I started using MaximDL and MM. I reverted to making a model with only -5 Dec C cooling as I image with SGP.

For many months now I use MountWizzard and latterly there is also the option of Model Creator, both described in detail on the 10 Micron forum and developed beyond the functionality of MM.  MountWizzard for example provides automatic backup, TLE and UTC file downloads.  There are video tutorials as well.  Both can connect directly via ascom to your camera (and also to your plate solver) so you don't need to use SGP.

I would recommend you have a look at these two utilities. MountWizzard is available from GitHub and Model Creator from Astromi.ch.

HTH.

9 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

I always had this problem too when I started using MaximDL and MM. I reverted to making a model with only -5 Dec C cooling as I image with SGP.

For many months now I use MountWizzard and latterly there is also the option of Model Creator, both described in detail on the 10 Micron forum and developed beyond the functionality of MM.  MountWizzard for example provides automatic backup, TLE and UTC file downloads.  There are video tutorials as well.  Both can connect directly via ascom to your camera (and also to your plate solver) so you don't need to use SGP.

I would recommend you have a look at these two utilities. MountWizzard is available from GitHub and Model Creator from Astromi.ch.

HTH.

Thanks Barry,

i actually just came across a YouTube video of Mount Wizzard yesterday afternoon. Written in Python I believe. Looks more complicated but has more functions. There were some comments on one forum about it being difficult to get it setup/installed on the computer as it is still in Beta form. I will take another look. The other I have not heard of at all. So I will go look at it. 

It is at least some consolation that I am not the only one with the shut down problem with Model Maker. I was beginning to think it was something I had done in either Maxim or MM.

Oh well onwards and upwards, and thanks.

Derek

Python and the PyQt files to install isn't to bad, and I think you now just need the executable (which may the install the missing software it finds).  Model Creator is just straightforward download of the .exe file and at the moment concentrates on building the model only. Both work very well and it is great to have a choice.

Per showed the way and 10 Micron users are lucky to have developers as users willing to spend their time for the community :headbang::hello2:

I totally agree with you Barry. We were very lucky that Per gave us the software. I can easilly live with the limitations of Model Maker, but it would be the icing on the cake if I could stop the camera shut downs. I am off to look again at the other programs. To be honest though Model Maker is just so easy to use.

Just noticed your signature, I have almost the same gear, barring the 106. and QHY5.  :)

Derek

Hi Derek, tried it a few times last night, switched off MM and it had no effect on Maxim, camera kept running OK.

Maxim DL6.11 Win10. latest ASCOM

I have got another problem now, previously running my 85 point model I only got a few rejected images and RMS below 6.0, this seems to be a Dec problem as all the RA readings are in the 1.0 to 0.1 area the Dec is in double figures and I end up with less than 20 points.

Not sure what has caused this but just set up the dual imaging rig for widefield so got a month to sort it :grin: 

ATB

Dave

On 24/05/2017 at 16:44, Davey-T said:

Hi Derek, tried it a few times last night, switched off MM and it had no effect on Maxim, camera kept running OK.

Maxim DL6.11 Win10. latest ASCOM

I have got another problem now, previously running my 85 point model I only got a few rejected images and RMS below 6.0, this seems to be a Dec problem as all the RA readings are in the 1.0 to 0.1 area the Dec is in double figures and I end up with less than 20 points.

Not sure what has caused this but just set up the dual imaging rig for widefield so got a month to sort it :grin: 

ATB

Dave

Thanks for the information Dave. Glad it is working for you. Puzzling about the "new problem". At present I have no ideas. Everything put away for the duration. Summer  ?. Tried to install Mountwizzard but crashed as not enough memory during install. I will have to play around later after all my "job list" from her indoors is finished ?

1 hour ago, Physopto said:

Thanks for the information Dave. Glad it is working for you. Puzzling about the "new problem". At present I have no ideas. Everything put away for the duration. Summer  ?. Tried to install Mountwizzard but crashed as not enough memory during install. I will have to play around later after all my "job list" from her indoors is finished ?

Tried it last night and modelling was back to normal, 79 out of 85 RMS 5.7, now it's refusing to connect to GPS, always something to be annoying.

No problem with MM  turning off camera though :grin:

Dave

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:03, Davey-T said:

Tried it last night and modelling was back to normal, 79 out of 85 RMS 5.7, now it's refusing to connect to GPS, always something to be annoying.

No problem with MM  turning off camera though :grin:

Dave

Sure you weren't standing in front of it the time before......  :)

Love to know what the differences are or the difference is that causes mine to shut down with MM !!!!!

Derek

Archived