SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

powermate 2.5x

Piero

It has been a while since I noticed that my PM2.5x is not much used.. I basically only use it with my SLV 9mm when observing the Sun to get ~100x. The reason is that the Lunt Herschel wedge nose is just too tall for the Baader VIP to reach focus. Ideally I know what I'd like: 3.5mm and 5mm Vixen HR to replace both the PM2.5x and the SLV 5mm. However, this is not possible as those eyepieces don't exist.. 

So, what is your experience with the PM2.5x? Do you require it? Any remorse after selling it? 

I don't like to accumulate gear I don't use, but I wouldn't like to have future remorse either.. well, who would?! 

My eyepiece set is rather limited currently, but I do have a x2.5 PM which gets used, mainly with my 12.5mm BGO to give high power in a more comfortable way than with a 5mm.

Recently I tried a crazy experiment which was using the PM with a Zeiss Abbe Barlow and a Zeiss 25mm Ortho. I think I ended up with around x150, or with the Ortho pulled out a little probably x175. The view was at least as good as with my Nag zoom at the same f/l and much more comfortable :)

Do I NEED it? Probably not, but I think I would miss it still if I sold it.

I had a 2.5x Powermate last year when I decided to get a set of TV plossls. It's a great amplifier but I just decided not to go down that route so I sold it on to a happy owner.

I've recently sold a few very nice things that were not seeing much use and I've not regretted letting them go, as yet anyway.

Sometimes you need to actually own something for a few months or more to find out where it fits in your astronomy. It's usually no fault of the item that it doesn't but it is a shame to have nice items not getting any use I feel.

Not exactly the kit you're asking about, but my ES 2x focal extender rarely leaves my case, as I prefer to just use a high power eyepiece. But sometimes it's the only tool for the job and on those occasions... :headbang:

In rare seeing when my highest power eyepiece still isn't enough, it has given me some of the best views I've ever had of Jupiter and the moon. Good for pulling faint moons out of the glare around the outer planets too. Surprisingly useful on DSOs too - it loves bright planetaries and galactic cores. Not too shabby on doubles either...

So it has shown me things I would not have otherwise seen and I can't see myself parting with it despite the infrequent use.

Having read many people's reports on these, the PowerMate 2.5X seems to be the most "If you could only have one" popular among these. Mostly visual from what I've read/heard.

I've rarely used mine (2.5X), but I'm not planning to sell it. I'll sit tight as I'll never know when having it within my grasp will be necessary in my works. If something else out there is directly in view, and you need the  £££'s, then put it on the market. Likely it will sell with a few hours. It's a good investment - from all I've seen.

Have fun -

Dave

Thanks everybody for your replies! Kind of interesting poll too! It seems imagers need it far more than visual observers! 

In my case I would not sell it because I need the money, but because it's a nice piece of equipment which doesn't get used as it should. So, I am in line with John on this.. 

It might be wise to wait another bit of time before letting it go.. maybe a new 3.5mm comes out.. :rolleyes2:

1 hour ago, niallk said:

My PM2.5x is great with both my Pan24 and my 13T6 in my f4.7 10".  It does it's job beautifully.

Yup, for a while I had the very same combination of yours (Pan24, 13T6, 7T6, PM2.5x) + 3.5T6. It is very capable indeed.

I reckon there are three fevers for visual observers: 1) aperture fever, 2) FOV fever, and 3) high resolution (HR) fever. I am still "managing" Fever 1 (even though I am quite settled to get a 12"-12.5" F5-F5.5 classic dobson one day), seem not to be afflicted by Fever 2, but I've completely lost against Fever 3..

15 minutes ago, Piero said:

Yup, for a while I had the very same combination of yours (Pan24, 13T6, 7T6, PM2.5x) + 3.5T6. It is very capable indeed.

I reckon there are three fevers for visual observers: 1) aperture fever, 2) FOV fever, and 3) high resolution (HR) fever. I am still "managing" Fever 1 (even though I am quite settled to get a 12"-12.5" F5-F5.5 classic dobson one day), seem not to be affected by Fever 2, but I've completely lost with Fever 3..

:) ... I've been through a dose of Fever 1, and have been afflicted with the particularly virulent 100deg strain of Fever 2 over the last year!

2 minutes ago, niallk said:

:) ... I've been through a dose of Fever 1, and have been afflicted with the particularly virulent 100deg strain of Fever 2 over the last year!

Lovely fevers! :headbang:

Archived