Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.
1 post in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
America and Pelican nebulas, taken as a single FoV
Gear: Olympus E-PL6 with OM-Zuiko 200mm/4 at F/4 on Celestron Nexstar SLT
Capture: 29 lights (/100% keep) x 30s x 3200iso, 10 darks
Processing: Regim 3.3, Fotoxx 12.01+
Site: Deep country 26km from Limoges, France
Sky: good seing, SQM=21.4
A reprocessed image of NGC7000 - my original process is also within this album. The main difference is that I started processing by applying Pixinsight DBE, background neutralization and colour calibration functions to eliminate the light pollution gradient gradient. To try to minimise the effect of bloated stars I used Pixinsight's masked stretch. Various other operations where processed in CCDstack and PS. My main learning from this is the importance of removing light pollution gradients prior to stretching, if you don't, then obtaining a colour balance and star colours can be more difficult, particularly when you have stars embedded within nebulosity.
Approximately one year ago I posted my first attempt at NGC7000 which was taken with my OSC camera. Having recently added Pixinsight to my software tools collection, I was interested to see how a reprocess would look.
I choose this image since I'd previously found it very difficult to remove the light pollution gradient and control star bloat.
The reprocessed image uses a combination of Pixinsights DBE, background neutralization, colour calibration and linear fit functions to eliminate the light pollution gradients and obtain colour balance. To reduce the impact of bloated stars I used the Pixinsight masked stretch before transferring it into PS. Whilst I don't believe the image will win any awards, it clearly demonstrates to me the importance of removing light pollution gradients prior to image stretching.
Original result (Sept 2015) - processed in MaximDL/Photoshop
Reprocess - processed in Pixinsight/CCDstack/Photoshop
LIGHTS: 20 x 600s, DARKS: 40; FLATS: 20; BIAS: 100.