Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

SGL 2017 SP

Planet X

Coronado Binomite 12x60 or 10x25 wanted

Planet X    82

Anybody have Coronado Binomite 12x60 or 10x25 for sale?

Cheers Carl

Peter Drew    5,117

If I were you I'd make a pair of solar film filters for your 10x50's, just as good, much cheaper and you can still use the 10x50 for normal purposes.  :icon_biggrin:

Solar B    42

Would have to disagree a bit with Peter here as I use both types of binomite ... I find them well constructed 

and easy to use being that the objectives have been replaced with fiters and believe they do offer a superior view than a normal bino

with filters added , however where solar binos really shine (literally ☺️) is during an eclipse , here the partial phases can be viewed

with supreme ease.

Brian 

Peter Drew    5,117

Well I will have to AGREE with Brian a bit too  :icon_biggrin:. I wouldn't claim that a modded binocular would be as good as the "real" thing but having tried both I didn't find a great deal of difference. At the magnifications employed you have to have decent size sunspots for them to be obvious, the eclipse phase images are certainly enhanced. At totality, it's safe to use unfiltered binoculars, you won't see anything with Binomites at that stage, for me that would mean taking two pairs. I used my unfiltered 10x50's during totality at the Turkey eclipse and the view was awesome.

Solar B    42

Well I agree and disagree with you Peter 😂 as you did originally state that the binos with filters are "just as good" 

However yes at totality no filter required so that would require another pair of binos ! and I also witnessed Saros 139 

at Antalya / March 06.

Brian 

Peter Drew    5,117
3 hours ago, Solar B said:

Well I agree and disagree with you Peter 😂 as you did originally state that the binos with filters are "just as good" 

However yes at totality no filter required so that would require another pair of binos ! and I also witnessed Saros 139 

at Antalya / March 06.

Brian 

Fair point, I did.  :icon_biggrin:  Perhaps I should have said "good enough". I can't believe I'm likely to see a better total eclipse than the Antalya 2006.

Mark at Beaufort    2,422

I have the Lunt 8x32 solar binos which are small and compact. I obtained mine off eBay (good S/H deal) and use them on most clear days. I accept Peter's comment about only being able to see larger spots but they are very useful when combined with my PST. Certainly support Brian on great for eclipses.

It is amazing how many of use viewed the 2006 total eclipse - I was in Side, Turkey.

Stu    14,111

I had a pair of Binomite 10x25s and used them to observe the Mercury transit in 2006 I think it was. They are quite limited due to the small aperture as they only show the larger active regions. Still fun though.