Russian TAL-2

Evening folks

I have come across a cheap TAL-2 or what i think is cheap £275 does this sound about right for it?  Comes with the full pine box, mount, motor etc all in excellent cond.  Also what are the telescopes like to use, i am not finding much reviews on them except the odd "Built like a tank".  With the motor would it be good for photography?

If in good condition price is decent, and a lovely scope, very heavy to set up, dont think i would do much deep sky imaging but would be good for Lunar and solar system...........so do we have another convert to the Tal club?

:D possibly, i hear its 70kg weight, its something that i will have to lug around but im still a young un' so should manage, I have nothing to compare it to except my old skywatcher 150pl on an eq3-2, although 20 years old the TAL-2 I hope its at least comparable to it

The Tals are great bits of Russian over engineering with great optics. Heavy, yes but if you  have the room and the required energy for them, very nice to own. I have the Tal1 and am quite attached to it but for reasons too long to go into here it needs to go, which will be a sad day for me . Check it out, if it all works and the optics are good (which they probably will) and if it makes the  heart  beat faster to look at - go for it!

Cheers for the replies guys, i think the think that bothers me is for 280 i can get a 200p dob, yeah sure isnt as sturdy as a TAL but i believe more light gathering.  Although owning a tank does sound really really good (idea) :)

I also believe the TAL-2 were spherical mirrors, is this correct?  I know that usualy i should be looking at parabolic but having never used a TAL or spherical mirror I wouldnt know the difference or pros & cons

I've owned a TAL-2 (long time ago) and a Skywatcher 200P dob and I'd go for the 200P faced with a choice of the two. My TAL-2 cost a lot less than £280 but I still thought the abilities and portability of the 200P made it a better instrument.

The TAL-2 is a good instrument of it's type but very heavy and quirky.

If you have a strong desire to own some solid Russian engineering then the TAL might suit but I think the 200P is a more practical and better performing telescope.

Thanks for the reply John, i think you might be right TBH, at least if i buy the 200 DOB I can replace the mount in the future for photography.  I like the idea of the TAL "Sturdy, Rock Solid, Possible sale to the syrians in the future as an FIM-92 Stinger" but at almost 20 years old and i believe the company dont make telescopes anymore it might be the unrealistic option for myself if anything breaks.  Although im fairly youngish maybe I can save my back for a little more years.

Archived