Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

mikeDnight

Jupiter and its Great Orange Spot

mikeDnight    3,554

Well for me at least, the Great Red Spot has been anything but red. On every occasion that the spot has been well placed for observation, and the seeing has been steady, the GRS appeared to be, not red, not pink but intense orange. Last night, 17th May, I didn't intend to sketch the planet at all, but on seeing the spot on the preceeding limb I thought it would be a good opportunity to study the turbulence following the it. The NEB revealed an impressive display of garlands strewn along its length which was nice to observe, and where the descending festoons touched the equator an equatorial band was hinted at.

Thanks for looking. :happy11:

2017-05-18 08.58.16.jpg

• Like 12

Alfian    1,004

Thats  a good report Mike. Hindered seeing conditions?  From here last night 10.45 ish Jupiter was just a wishy washy ball of light - like the sun through cloud on a wet day! You did well.

• Like 1

faulksy    3,257

very nice mike. thats how i was viewing it last week, but the orange spot was on the top :headbang:

• Like 1

mikeDnight    3,554
38 minutes ago, faulksy said:

very nice mike. thats how i was viewing it last week, but the orange spot was on the top :headbang:

That's the problem with using a diagonal. It messes with your mind!  :icon_scratch: :happy8:

Mike :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

Stu    14,422
1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

That's the problem with using a diagonal. It messes with your mind!  :icon_scratch: :happy8:

Mike :icon_biggrin:

Nah, it's all these dob boys who stand on their heads... ;) 

• Like 2

Stu    14,422

More seriously Mike, I do agree that GRS has been a different colour to previous apparitions. It certainly has been brick red (to me) at times in the past.

I also noticed, and saw in several reports recently including one of yours I believe that despite good seeing it appeared more muted that even a week or so before. I suspect this was more atmospheric than actual change but it was quite noticeable.

Always something interesting to watch, I wonder if we will get another event like losing the SEB as happened a few years back, that was quite dramatic!

• Like 1

Davey-T    9,000

Showed some folk last weekend and they said "it looks orange not red" :grin:

Dave

• Like 2

mikeDnight    3,554
1 hour ago, Stu said:

Always something interesting to watch, I wonder if we will get another event like losing the SEB as happened a few years back, that was quite dramatic!

That would be good! I like anything that breaks the monotony of a highly detailed view. :icon_biggrin:

Mike

• Like 1