Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galactic Roll Curtailed By Cloud!

1.20am, 8SE ready and waiting.  Aligned on Dubhe and Cor Caroli.  Targets - galaxies around Canes Venatici.

Whirlpool Galaxy M51 with close galactic neighbour NGC5195 were easily found by starfield recognition using x48 @ 1.34*.  At x68, they were still two smudges, slightly brighter at the centres.  x85 - a little clearer.  Pushing it to x113, M51 appeared more extensive but despite checking focus by moving to a star then back, it sadly didn't reveal any detail.  Nevertheless, once on target, experimenting with mag does show how appearance and contrast can be improved.

M94, another spiral galaxy, spot on in GoTo, but confirmed anyway using a "kite" pattern of stars to the west, whose westernmost element was easily resolved into two stars at x48.  The galaxy itself appeared bright and concentrated, rather than a broad fuzz, and its core became sharper at x85 and x113.

The sky was dark, GoTo was performing brilliantly, so I thought I'd try M106 which - unlike the previous three - I haven't seen so far.  Glanced up to see that extensive cloud cover had suddenly brought my enjoyment to a halt after just over one hour.  

So back to bed, eager for the next outing!

Doug.

2 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

The sky was dark, GoTo was performing brilliantly

There is something very satisfying about when Goto just plonks you straight on target isn't there? Allows you to just enjoy the views :)

Shame about the clouds :( 

Archived