Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore Scientific 62 degree series

Alfian

I have been looking, out of interested curiosity, at the the new ES 62 degree series thinking that they look like a good EP at a good price and thought if I was to buy one that the 14mm might do. However, the 14mm looks different to the others and the looking closer at the specs' the eye relief is not what I would have expected.  The 14mm is given as 11mm (ER), the 9mm - 12mm(ER) and the 5mm - 13mm(ER). Perhaps I have I misunderstood the specification but if not - how does that work?

https://www.explorescientific.co.uk/index.php?lang=1&lang=1&cl=alist&searchparam=&cnid=f89cfa7531bb9b9f889937b14e002fcd&attrfilter[Apparent%2Bfield%2Bof%2Bview%2B%28degrees%29][62]=1&fnc=mfexecutefilter

Strange series this one. Labelled LER (Long Eye Relief) but not really living up to that.

Rumours abound that these are the Meade 5000 series 5 element 60 degree plossls re-vamped slightly. The focal lengths seem to match, more or less.

I purchased the 14mm hoping that the 11mm eye relief specification was wrong given its LEL branding. Unfortunately the specs were right and the eye relief was too tight for my liking. 

6 minutes ago, John said:

Strange series this one. Labelled LER (Long Eye Relief) but not really living up to that.

Rumours abound that these are the Meade 5000 series 5 element 60 degree plossls re-vamped slightly. The focal lengths seem to match, more or less.

Following this up John I found on the Meade website a spec for the 9mm which is shown as 17mm mind you the sizes of the rest of the series don't tally that well either.

http://www.meade.com/series-5000-hd-60.html?cat=8

As you say, a bit strange and sadly for Gavster the specs seem to right. I must confess I similarly wondered whether the specs' were the wrong way round.

7 minutes ago, Alfian said:

Following this up John I found on the Meade website a spec for the 9mm which is shown as 17mm mind you the sizes of the rest of the series don't tally that well either.

http://www.meade.com/series-5000-hd-60.html?cat=8

As you say, a bit strange and sadly for Gavster the specs seem to right. I must confess I similarly wondered whether the specs' were the wrong way round.

Not the Meade 5000 HD-60 series, the older Meade 5000 60 degree plossl series.

I actually picked up a used 40mm Meade 5000 60 degree plossl a while back.  It's not bad in the inner 70 percent of the field.  Beyond that, it gets blurry due to astigmatism.  Definitely not worth more than $70 even when new.  The 40mm Meade 5000 SWA is way better, being nearly perfect to the edge.  It's a worthy contender to go up against a 41mm Panoptic.

19 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

These are not the LER EPs you are looking for ;)

The eye lenses of the 14 and 9mm are way too small to support real long eye relief (at least 16mm). I didn't look at the rest

Hi Michael, it makes it clear on the FLO site that the 20 - 40mm EPs have LER with no mention of the smaller range so I was not expecting them to have particularly long eye relief. It just puzzled me that ER on the 5, 9,&14 seemed a bit back to front for want of a better expression.

Hi Gavster, thats an interesting link. Thank you. In appearance the APM reminds me of the Altair Lightwave series.

6 hours ago, Alfian said:

Hi Michael, it makes it clear on the FLO site that the 20 - 40mm EPs have LER with no mention of the smaller range so I was not expecting them to have particularly long eye relief. It just puzzled me that ER on the 5, 9,&14 seemed a bit back to front for want of a better expression.

Hi Gavster, thats an interesting link. Thank you. In appearance the APM reminds me of the Altair Lightwave series.

Except that those are 55 degree and 20mm ER.  I do agree there is a familiar similarity.  But actually, I was thinking they look more like the BST 1.25" Flat Field Eyepieces.

10 hours ago, Gavster said:

Alfian,

i think the 15mm APM ultra flat field is a good option, good fov and nice eye relief and close in price to the ES 62.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p9294_APM-15-mm-Ultra-Flat-Field-Eyepiece--65--field-of-view--barrel-size-1-25-.html

I have the 18mm APM UFF version. Not too bad at F/4.7.

18mm APM in hand.JPG

18mm APM with box and caps.JPG

18mm in hand eyecup rolled down.JPG

4 hours ago, Louis D said:

Except that those are 55 degree and 20mm ER.

I have some Lightwave 55s and they are a nice EP for the price but Altair also do a Lighwave premium 68 degree which again looks similar but is a different kettle of fish altogether at £149.

6 hours ago, Alfian said:

Altair also do a Lighwave premium 68 degree which again looks similar but is a different kettle of fish altogether at £149

Yes, and I have yet to see a single review of one.  They are priced close to the Morpheus line yet are spec'ed more like the Astro Tech AF70, Celestron Ultima LX, Olivon 70 degree, Arcturus Ebony Series 70 Degree SWA, Sky-Watcher SWA-70, etc. which are priced closer to $100, give or take.  These are also known as the Levenhuk Ra ER20 Wide Angle Eyepiece here in the States and are priced slightly cheaper than in the UK.  I'm guessing they're made by Long Perng who also makes the 55 degree version.

Archived