Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW AZ Goto SynScan & Star Discovery?

Hi All, I've tried searching for a similar topic but failed to find one - please point me to one if there is one:

Having pretty much decided on a SW 127 Mak on an AZ SynScan mount (see general help 'Infrequent Observer...'), I've come across the SW Star Discovery - the FreedomFind feature looks quite interesting. Not being familiar with these mounts, I'm trying to work out what the differences are - so far I understand you can manually slew the Star Discovery and maintain alignment and can do this without power. Does SynScan offer anything not available on Star Discovery?

I have downloaded the SynScan manual but can't seem to find one for Star Discovery, although there are references to the 'multi-function mount' - is this Star Discovery?

Whilst the Star Discovery mount is only slightly more expensive than SynScan - it seems that I'd have to buy the Mak 127 OTA separately at a significantly higher combined cost - the only tube option seems to be the 150P which is much bigger than I'd planned - Have I got this right?

Thanks,

John.

@johnha

You are on the right lines. I have a Star Discovery. It was bought as a quicker set up GOTO than our AVX. I'm not familiar first hand with the other mount you mention. But I did research it before buying the Star Discovery.

The main difference between the two is as you say the ability to manually move the Star Discovery mount to another position when not being powered, making it a manual Alt / Az option if you are quickly rushing out "Grab & Go" style. I don't believe this is possible with the other mount.

The Freedom Find can be used when powered and aligned. In this case one can simply move the Star Discovery mount to another position manually and the mount maintains it's original alignment. So for example one can align the mount, use the GOTO to view M31 and then manually move it to look at Jupiter. When concluded one can send it off to another target by GOTO and it will still be aligned.

To be fair, the ability to use the mount manually without power has been the most useful feature. It's nowhere as smooth as our Ercole Mini Manual Alt / Az. But it does a really good job for quick grab & go manual viewing.

Hope that helps

Thanks Racey. I now understand that the Multi-function mount is another mount which also has FreedomFind, lots of photo features and the ability to turn the arm round for more clearance for longer scopes - something I'm going to consider.

On 5/18/2017 at 17:52, johnha said:

Thanks Racey. I now understand that the Multi-function mount is another mount which also has FreedomFind, lots of photo features and the ability to turn the arm round for more clearance for longer scopes - something I'm going to consider.

Pleasure. I was advised against that by the guys at FLO. You can use the Star Discovery for panoramas and other clever things with cameras too though John...

Thanks Racey. The AllView was of interest in case I wanted to put my 900mm Tasco on it by flipping the arm. I like the idea of the Star Discovery FreedomFind but it adds £100+ to the combined cost of the mount & 127 Mak (compared to the basic SynScan outfit which now seems a better option).

Archived