Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Ring Nebula with outer shells

gorann

More Liverpool Telescope data I am afraid, but what should a Swede do when the sun has decided to make the nights into twilight this time of the year?

For those that may have missed it the Liverpool Telescope is a remotely controlled 2 m RC scope on a  mountain top on La Palma, Canary Islands.

This image contains more Ha data than most of the others I have processed, which helped a lot to reveal the outer shells of this famous planetary nebula.

This is a HaRGB image while most of the other high resolution images of the Ring that I have seen are narrow band images, which may make this one a bit special. The big galaxy is IC1296 and there are a lot of faint fuzzies in there for which I have no names or numbers.

Filters and exposures used:

sdss-r  17 x 90 s

Ha  15 x 120 s (mixed 50:50 with sdss-r for red channel)

Bessell B 21 x 90 s (blue channel)

Bessell V 16 x 90 s (green channel)

So totally 1.85 hours of data stacked in Nebulosity 4 and processed in PS CS5

LT M57 HaRGB PS29sign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 37

5 hours ago, MattJenko said:

Wow, that is lovely, and very impressive.

4 hours ago, philj said:

Wow

2 hours ago, RobertI said:

Really wonderful, thank you.

Thanks Matt, Phil & Rob

Much appreciated!

5 hours ago, Stephen Green said:

That is a very nice image and detail

Thanks Stephen!

The Ring Nebula was an interesting and challenging object to process due to the extreme dynamic range. The signal from central ring of the nebula was there even in the initial raw subs and had to be suppressed while it took about 10 rounds of stretching (using Curves in PS) to start to bring out the outer shells. This also means that at the end of processing, I could bring out much more detail from the light centre than the faint surroundings, and I had to find a compromise that I hope does not reveal too much of this difference in signal to noise ratio between the the centre and the shells

8 hours ago, wimvb said:

Great result. It certainly has a large dynamic range.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Bowled over by that one! 

Steve

Thanks Wim & Steve, much appreciated!

Could not stop myself from fiddling a bit more with the image, running a High Pass filter in PS, which had a nice effect on the brightness and contrast of the outer shells without increasing noise, but maybe it is a bit over the top?

Interesting that my HaRGB image is strikingly similar to a Ha-SII-OIII image taken by Daniel López using the 2.5 m Isaac Newton Telescope situated at the same site as the Liverpool Telescope:

http://www.ing.iac.es/PR/press/m57.html

LT M57 HaRGB PS30HiPassSign.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 17/05/2017 at 17:53, gorann said:

More Liverpool Telescope data I am afraid, but what should a Swede do when the sun has decided to make the nights into twilight this time of the year?

For those that may have missed it the Liverpool Telescope is a remotely controlled 2 m RC scope on a  mountain top on La Palma, Canary Islands.

This image contains more Ha data than most of the others I have processed, which helped a lot to reveal the outer shells of this famous planetary nebula.

This is a HaRGB image while most of the other high resolution images of the Ring that I have seen are narrow band images, which may make this one a bit special. The big galaxy is IC1296 and there are a lot of faint fuzzies in there for which I have no names or numbers.

Filters and exposures used:

sdss-r  17 x 90 s

Ha  15 x 120 s (mixed 50:50 with sdss-r for red channel)

Bessell B 21 x 90 s (blue channel)

Bessell V 16 x 90 s (green channel)

So totally 1.85 hours of data stacked in Nebulosity 4 and processed in PS CS5

LT M57 HaRGB PS29sign.jpg

WOW that looks impressive! The barred spiral at top left makes it even better!