Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Arp 271 and more Virgo galaxies

Nyctimene

Still three hours of astronomical darkness here at 49°37' N left; so I took out the 18" Obsession at 00h15m; average conditions with NELM 5,7 mag, SQM-L 21,18; rather good seeing. First to Arp 271, a nice close galaxy pair. The slightly brighter 5427 (12,1 mag) appeared round, with brighter middle; directly S adjacent 5426 in contrast was extending 2,5:1 N-S, with stellar core region. Between them both a 13m star. With the different shapes of both galaxies, a rewarding view!

Then again to the 5846 group (described in my earlier post of April 30); with 18" and the 30 mm 77° AFOV Wild Heerbrugg eyepiece (Swiss military surplus optics - swords to ploughshares!) many members bright and in the same field of view. At 200x (Baader Zoom Mk III), 5846/5846 A showed the feature of the "mini-M 51" very clearly. 70' N of the group was the 4:1-elongated 5854, easily with direct vision.

At 01h15 the eastern sky was lit up by the (still hidden) moon; so over to some more relaxing views - Albireo, lovely as always; M 57 "glaring" bright (but could not spot it's central star with a 6 mm Orthoscopic; never seen it; the same went with IC 1296 (15,4 mag) nearby). I finished with M81/82, bright and in the same field of view, and 3077. (IC 2574, Coddington's Nebula, was elusive as always and not visible). Quite satisfied, and so to bed at 02h.

Thanks for reading.

Stephan

Another good report Stephan :).

Spring Galaxy season is pretty short up here at 59N.

Next season I might go for a different approach; Get up at 4am in the morning in January to try to get some more sessions regarding  the Leo, Virgo part of the sky.

Rune

3 hours ago, Pondus said:

Next season I might go for a different approach; Get up at 4am in the morning in January to try to get some more sessions regarding  the Leo, Virgo part of the sky.

That's my strategy for some winter targets - to observe them early in the morning in September/October (I don't like frosty nights and the need of three layers winter dress!)

Stephan

On 2017-5-18 at 11:44, Pondus said:

Another good report Stephan :).

Spring Galaxy season is pretty short up here at 59N.

Rune

That always works for me, Rune, even at a lowly 53.5N! Good plan.

Archived