Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Progressive Jupiter observation

mikeDnight

The following is a series of observational sketchs of Jupiter, showing how the initial bland view of the belts begins to reveal more and more subtle detail over about ten minutes of observation. (Sorry about the dull images. The sketches were imaged in artificial light). The sketches are representative of the eyepiece view from first impression to last impression. This observation was started under very good conditions, but as the clouds soon moved in as I began sketching and greatly deteriorated the view, cutting the observation short.

16/5/17

Mike

(I've added some further images a couple of posts down but then realised I could add one here through EDIT. I've here added a daylight image of last night's sketch,which to me at least, seems a little sharper and more contrasty.)

2017-05-16 23.37.56.jpg

2017-05-16 23.38.43.jpg

2017-05-16 23.39.35.jpg

2017-05-16 23.40.48.jpg

2017-05-17 08.59.44.jpg

Yes Mike, it's good to show how your finished drawings represent the information gleaned after some minutes of careful observations.  I think many inexperienced observers may assume that your final drawings represent a view you had showing all the detail at the same time, which clearly does not happen.  (except of course on those rare moments of extremely steady and transparent nights with no turbulence, which you may see every five years if you're lucky, at least around where I live!)  This can lead some people to wander why their telescopes wont show what yours seems to show if they are assuming you see what is in your finished drawing all in one brief view.   On top of good technique for observing and sketching of course, experience, patience, a good eye and lots of artistic skill also help!  :smile:.      I :icon_salut: your skill and ability Mike.

Although I don't draw , this would accurately represent how I saw Jupiter Sunday evening, as after an hour of patient observing more and more detail became apparent ...then I called my 18 yr old with his young eyes to join me , after just a few seconds observing he'd had enough , and couldn't se the GRS that was obvious to me!! 

Here's an image taken in daylight. Still a bit dull but better than the previous image. By brightening the image some of the subtle detail is lost, so take your pick as to which of these daylight images you prefer.

Mike ☺

2017-05-17 08.59.44.jpg

2017-05-17 08.59.57.jpg

8 hours ago, paulastro said:

Yes Mike, it's good to show how your finished drawings represent the information gleaned after some minutes of careful observations.  I think many inexperienced observers may assume that your final drawings represent a view you had showing all the detail at the same time, which clearly does not happen.  (except of course on those rare moments of extremely steady and transparent nights with no turbulence, which you may see every five years if you're lucky, at least around where I live!)  This can lead some people to wander why their telescopes wont show what yours seems to show if they are assuming you see what is in your finished drawing all in one brief view.   On top of good technique for observing and sketching of course, experience, patience, a good eye and lots of artistic skill also help!  :smile:.      I :icon_salut: your skill and ability Mike.

Thanks Paul.

Your right! Often the initial view is not always that impressive, but as time passes, more and more detail reveals itself. I suppose you could liken a sketch to multiple stacked views of Jupiter, where only the best moments are recorded and added together. Even then, its a balancing act to represent the features as accurately as possible to produce an eyepiece view. 

Mike

1 hour ago, Tigaroo said:

Although I don't draw , this would accurately represent how I saw Jupiter Sunday evening, as after an hour of patient observing more and more detail became apparent ...then I called my 18 yr old with his young eyes to join me , after just a few seconds observing he'd had enough , and couldn't se the GRS that was obvious to me!! 

So true Tigaroo. Many times I have let people have a look at Jupiter, encouraging them to take their time, get the focus right and enjoy the view. 99% of the time they look for perhaps 10 seconds and say, 'that's nice, thank you'. I just know they have hardly seen anything!

11 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

The following is a series of observational sketchs of Jupiter, showing how the initial bland view of the belts begins to reveal more and more subtle detail over about ten minutes of observation.

Your point is well made, Mike. It is so important to allow time to see more detail - and to provide opportunity for those moments of good seeing to appear, even if fleetingly.

You should continue to remind us of this important observational fact!

Jeremy

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

Mike, did I hear you right, you say your tablet has limited ability? - :laugh2:  Still, it would be too much to be so artistic and technical :laugh2::laugh2:

I know its often said that "Its a poor workman who blames his tools", but my tablet, which is supposed to be quite good, is actually thick! Or could it be me??? No, its my tablet!! It's thick!!! As of yet, it has not once allowed me to image and post a sketch that looks as good as the original. I hate technology!!!

Mike

3 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I know its often said that "Its a poor workman who blames his tools", but my tablet, which is supposed to be quite good, is actually thick! Or could it be me??? No, its my tablet!! It's thick!!! As of yet, it has not once allowed me to image and post a sketch that looks as good as the original. I hate technology!!!

Mike

I like technology, but I just use it so much mainly for work that I am kind of glad when I don't use it at all! 

Anyway, great sketches as usual! Really impressive work! :)

Archived