SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dome Rotation Query

Gina

As I'm planning a mini dome observatory I have a very basic question.  I could probably work this out myself but asking a question is much quicker :D 

Is there a simple formula for calculating the amount the dome needs to rotate to keep the slot in line with the object being imaged? 

Thanks in advance :)

Thank you Steve  :)

I am using INDI with RPi and building my own fork mount which I plan to emulate as a standard ASCOM mount such as the NEQ6/EQ8.  There is an INDI driver for this and also an INDI driver for a particular dome so I guess I should be able to emulate that dome in my control electronics.  I just wondered if there was a simpler way.

Had a quick look at those calculations and see it's based on a GEM rather than a fork mount and also that the dome rotation axis may be displaced from the mount axis.  For my widefield imaging rig I can easily arrange that the dome rotation axis lines up with the fork mount RA and Dec axes.  I would have thought this would make the calculations simpler.  I guess I should be able to work this out myself - a matter of converting EQ coordinates to AZ.

Archived