SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ed80/starwave achro

ok, although totally different scopes I wondered if anyone had first hand experience of them both?

I want another scope for astro ap, so the obvious choice is an ed 80 of some incarnation, but have totally fell in love with the idea of a large(long) achro.

actually the starwave classic 102 f11. now from the research I have done, visually wise they seem very close as its a bit corrected, and have heard very good reports of the lack of c.a.

could I justify the starwave for astro ap and visual or should I stick to an ed 80?

Afternoon..

I've got a 72mmED and the F11 Starwave, and your right in the sense that they are totally different scopes.. The ED80's have a huge following in terms of AP but at f7.5 you would need some low FL Ep's or an extender (barlow or PM) to get the magnifications up to what a native F11 can give with the Same EP's.

I guess it would depend on what AP you are interested in.. Moon and planets I would probably say starwave as 100mm and FL would be more beneficial, and you can filter any CA out or monochrome the images to remove during processing... heck you could just take the green layer and work on that if you wanted..  Where as deep sky, long exposure or wider field then the ED80 wins.. and it's easier to mount I bet. 

Not that the 80mm ed will be a slouch, I was surprised how good the 72mm ed was in comparison to the f11 on full disk views, at similar magnifications, and the smaller scope makes a great grab and go.

I've only Just started to take photos, and that's predominantly of the moon with the starwave and it does a great job, I just don't have a tracking mount to get any more details than a full disk.. so im no expert but just my experiences with the two, very different, scopes..

happy choices!

Ta

Fozzie

Can onl give my point of view here from a visual point of view only and not about any AS involved really ; had an ED80. Nice scope but didn't fit in really for what I am observing, so sold on. Starwave f11. Still got and it will be a keeper for a long time I think. I'm sure the f11 would be good for lunar and planetary work with AP, but the shorter ED80 will be easier  to control and guide for longer exposures for DSO work.

yea thanks guys, you're already imaging what I was thinking but you know how you need that little push or nudge.

the thrill of the big starwave...of course in red was a big pull, but as most of my ap is/wants to be nebs/deep sky the 80mm is better, plus I want to do narrow band, the Nikon does very well on the moon with the 200mm newt.

nudge taken :)

Archived