Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Hello

I have recently brought my first telescope and am looking to upgrade the eye pieces. 

I have a celestron powerseeker 127eq and was wondering which eyepiece set would best suit the telescope for planets and galaxies.

Thanks. 

Edited by C-Sparkes

Hi C-Sparkes and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Personally I would start off by purchasing individual eyepieces than a set. There are various optical designs out there. Some are long eye-relief, some are wide-angle, some are ultra-wide-angle.

Question is... what is your budget?

Hi Philip thanks for your reply. I would like something that would be a good start for beginners. My budget would be around £15-£30 per eye piece or £100-£200 for a set. 

Thanks

I agree about the Starguiders. Better to spend your budget on a few good quality eyepieces than to spend it on a load of cheaper and unnecessary ones. Plus as well as working with your current scope they will work with your next scope when you decide to upgrade. As your scope is f8 (ish) I would suggest the 8, 12 and 18mm Starguiders, possibly the 25mm too if you want to (almost) max out the true field of view that a telescope with a 1.25" focuser can show.

I agree with Philip - above. Buying those aluminum-cases full of Plossls for cheap will leave you with 2 or 3 that you can use, and a bunch just collecting dust - until you try to sell them. Cost-wise, you might break even. So I don't recommend buying such.

Keep using what you have now, and figure out what sort of things you'd like to see up there. And what would help you go find those things. And figure out what sort of eyepiece(s) would serve you do such the best. But above all - take your time for now. Nothing up there is going to vanish. But here on Earth, your money could vanish and you'd have a bunch of eyepieces you'll never use. Most of us have been there, or close to it. One thing many of us didn't have: A good bunch of people who will help you to find what you need in a forum like this!

So you're off to a very good start.

Congratulations on your new telescope. You've picked a very nice one!

Dave

Thanks for all the replies I suppose I'm in no rush as I live in the U.K. (Constantly cloudy). I think I might go with the starguiders, I'll slowly add to them over time. Thanks again! ?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Bigdaddyjeff
      Please find for sale my SkyWatcher 250 Reflector and NEQ6 SynScan mount. 

The reflector has of course been used and shows sign of use on the outside of the tube but the mirrors show little sign of wear or tear apart from a few dust specks. As you can see from the photos the Scope is in very good condition and all viewings are welcome.

The NEQ6 mount powers up but refuses to move. This may be just an update to the handset or maybe the gears need a touch of TLC due to itself being sat doing nothing for so long. The tripod is missing the locking pin that pulls the plate up against the legs but this will be reflected in the price. 

i would like to offer this to the SGL community as I know it will go to someone who will appreciate the kit and do so much more with it than I’ve been able to. 

Given the fact I haven’t used this kit for a few years now and I’m also moving house, I know longer have the time or room for it so this is the only reason for sale. 

Skywatcher 250 - £200 
      NEQ6 - £450 
      Collection only from Walsall/West Midlands 
      Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them. 
      Wishing you all clear skies wherever you are

• By Dodger3k
      Hi all, looking for some help please! 🙏 I have a wedge for my 8SE and when using EQ North to align it, it says it is slewing to Vega but ends up all the way over at Polaris!?  Any ideas? 🤞🏻 Thanks in advance! 😊

I have updated the firmware, Mount is pointing at north, have inputted my latitude and longitude, I have tried picking the nearest city too and nothing seems to work! 😟
    • By willcastle
      Has anyone used the celestron lithium powertank (the small one, not the pro version) with a skywatcher HEQ5?
      It looks like it should be perfect but that is coming from someone who is relatively clueless
      From the skywatcher specs, it looks like the mount needs 2 amps of current, and the powertank supplies 3, so that should be good?
      It also looks like the power cable is a double-ended tip-positive 2.1 mm plug, so i assume that even though it doesn't have one of those 12V car battery inputs, it shouldn't matter right?
      (just to save people some time, i'm not going to bother with a lead battery / leisure battery / jump-start pack / etc)
    • By stevebb
      Celestron C8 XLT + extras and SkyWatcher Star Travel 80 (ST80)
      I have a Celestron C8 with XLT Starbrite coatings. Will include the full length base plate, both visual and imaging backs, scope rings, front 8" end cap and the finder scope with it. No box I'm afraid. Optics are good and clean, focal length is huge - 2300mm from memory. This lot would cost close to £1300 new and one with less spec went for £750 on fleabay recently. Might be interested in a part exchange or will let it go for £450 collection only.
      Also, I have a SkyWatcher Star Traveler 80 - good optics, used as a guide scope - just the scope itself (does not include the barlow in the photo) - now including dovetail bar and scope rings looking at around £50 for it.
      I have decided to save up for another refractor, WO, Equinox or even toward an Esprit. However, I would also consider p/ex for an Intel NUC and/or Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox.
      Please excuse some of the colours - I used my astro modded 6D which was in the observatory so the "nice" purple is actually black !!
      Both these are collection only.

• By markastro
      Hi,

Looking for a 12" DOB (or larger) which can be transported to Prestwick, Ayrshire. Any brand, as long as the telescope is optically sound and in good working order. I'm a reliable buyer who has bought and sold on this site before.

Thanks,

Mark

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.