SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepieces help

I have just started using a Skywatcher 200 dob ... loving it 

many advice on what eyepieces I should going for. My budget is about £50 but I'm a patient chap and happy to save if the increase in price is justified in the quality

im just really looking at Jupiter at present but hope to go abit more DSO once I have found my way around the night sky

any help is much appreciated 

At £50 per eyepiece your best bet is the BST Starguider range. The 12-18mm range is going to give you exit pupils between 2 and 3mm which is ideal for DSOs, although you will have to go longer to get some of the larger targets framed nicely. For planetary you want eyepieces in the 5-8mm range. The atmosphere will be the limiting factor so on some nights you will be able to use more magnification than others. The 5mm will be rarely used while the 8mm can probably be almost always used. A 6 or 7 is probably the best option. For a 6mm in your price range you can look at the Baader Classic Ortho, but beware the short eye relief if you need to observe using glasses. Alternatively there is the Altair Astro LER for another £5. For a 7mm look at the Celestron X-Cel LX,

If you prefer to save up for a better eyepiece and could double the budget then there are the Explore Scientific 68 and 82 degree ranges. Optical quality is probably similar to the options above (the BCO might actually be better) but they have wider fields of view so you can fit more in or leave longer gaps between telescope "budges".

I agree with the above, BST StarGuiders are your best bet and at £49 each are just in your budget, they have long eye relief so good for spectacle wearers, they have twist-up eyecups making viewing very comfortable. 

Archived