sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Hello everybody,

I curious to know whether it is worth buying a cheap Newtonian OTA? I want to get started with deep sky photography and it seems like the cheapest way in. I'd rather spend the money on a decent mount/tripod, with the thought I could replace in the future once I have a bit of experience under my belt

I am looking at this - https://www.bintel.com.au/product/bintel-bt200-f4-imaging-ota/

It is branded Bintel so I assume it is a rebranded Chinese model

Thanks!

Actually looks like its Taiwanese  manufactured equipment from a company called GSO.

Its available in Europe (at least I think this is the same) for 425 euros. 

http://www.astroshop.eu/gso-telescope-n-200-800-imaging-newton-ota/p,47062#tab_bar_2_select

Sadly no customer reviews on that site, though it looks like it works out cheaper than the European source, but I'm converting to GBP and the pound exchange rates are misleading...everything looks pricey over here these days.

I would wait and see if any others on SGL have any experience of Bintel/GSO.

Steve

Hi

I've had one -a very similar f3.9 model- for a few months now. They need a few simple modifications as listed here, but compared with the dim refractors usually recommended for beginners, they produce great results in far less time, with good colour balance and pinpoint stars. Be warned however: you're gonna need a heavy mount and a coma corrector which will add considerably to the cost of getting you sky-worthy. HTH.

9 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

I've had one -a very similar f3.9 model- for a few months now. They need a few simple modifications as listed here, but compared with the dim refractors usually recommended for beginners, they produce great results in far less time, with good colour balance and pinpoint stars. Be warned however: you're gonna need a heavy mount and a coma corrector which will add considerably to the cost of getting you sky-worthy. HTH.

Looks like you have been here before Alacant :-)

I am thinking of a HEQ5 which I assume should be fine for this.

Going to dig through that thread now ...

20 minutes ago, Zac Scott said:

thinking of a HEQ5

Not sure of it's capacity, but with the proper dovetails and a dslr you're gonna be over 10Kg. I use an eq6 and it's more that happy. HTH.

3 minutes ago, alacant said:

Not sure of it's capacity, but with the proper dovetails and a dslr you're gonna be over 10Kg. I use an eq6 and it's more that happy. HTH.

Mmm okay, looks like I have some re-thinking to do

EQ6 is probably the way since it will most likely take whatever I want in the future

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Quetzalcoatl72
      I'm after a cassegrain reflector but I don't know which one to buy,
      I have a celestron c5 and it worked wonders for all fields, I now want the same but twice as powerful as my final upgrade
      I am looking at a c9.5 for £1350 or a c11 for £2000, My question is an extra 2.75" focal worth it for £750 more?
      I will likely purchase one this week
    • By thepainpastor
      Greetings All!
      Very Short Explanation: I'm disabled (43) and desperately trying to find ways to still bond/spend time with my youngest son (13).

My son expressed an interest, about two months ago, in Astronomy after watching a few YouTube videos on the subject (specifically, the moon and our neighboring planets). He asked if one day we could get a telescope. I was somewhat surprised when, over the course of the following days/weeks, he didn't forget about his request or shift his attention to other, "more 13 year old pressing matters." In fact, he became increasingly MORE excited, despite our lack of progress on the subject (except for many hours of questions and research regarding all things space).
      So, I decided that somehow, someway, I would discover the means in which to make this dream of his a reality.  However, due to our financial situation, I wasn't sure it would ever happen. Well, lo and behold, I stumbled across a Vivitar 76700 Reflecting Telescope, while killing time before a drs appt, at the local Goodwill, for only $14.99. I immediately withdrew my "Emergency $20" from my wallet, and I purchased it! 
      When I finally arrived home, I began the process of putting it together. Unfortunately, I soon discovered that it lacked everything which is placed in the "lens hole/slot" on the top, back of the telescope (just a hole, no lens, barrel, or anything originally included to fill said hole.
      !!!EDIT/CORRECTION!!!: It DOES have the piece which screws onto the side of the telescope that has "adjustor knobs" below it for, I'm assuming, extending/retracting the lens(?). There is just nothing INSIDE this piece except a hole/space. Sorry! 
      This is our youngest son (13), who is a "loner." He is very quiet/shy/lacks self-confidence, and suffers from mental/learning disabilities, but truly is "sharp as a tack" in many, many ways. So, when we discover something, anything, educationally speaking, that peaks his interest, we try our hardest to encourage him! 
      Now, I don't really have any/much money to spend on getting this telescope in complete working order (I am NOT asking or soliciting for ANYTHING!!) , but I refuse to pass up this chance to bond with him, encourage this budding passion for Astronomy, and help get him OFF that blasted PlayBoxCube more frequently, and into something more beneficial for his young, developing mind!
      Now to my question(s)...
      What further (inexpensive) equipment would suffice in completing his new-to-us telescope, and increase his allure to the wonders awaiting his discovery in the heavens above? Quality vs Price? Trade-offs? On-topic/slightly off-specific-topic advice?
      Links, articles, groups, periodicals, videos...ANY suggestions gratefully welcomed!
      Thank you, in advance, for indulging my attempted-to-be-brief background/relevant personal info, and for taking the time to help this guy be a (better) dad again. I feel blessed to have found this particular site/group.
      Live Long & Prosper,
      -Larry 

• By CosmicRayResearcher
      Hello! I am new here and have a kinda weird question for you guys.

I am a cosmic ray researcher with the Pierre Auger Observatory and I am building a UV laser system to calibrate some of our telescopes.

To do this, we need:
      Self levelling powered steering AZ mount that hit point to the Zenith with high accuracy (most important) and also point to any zenith/azimuth angle we may need. It would be great if it worked well with Linux Battery power is a plus but we will have 24V DC available for the laser already so it is not critical Can handle a payload which is ~10kg and 40cm long Is less than 1000€ before tax Is there any really reliable option that meets this criteria?

The mount we are currently looking at is the iOptitron AZ Pro but this is just past the 1000€ mark we want to hit.

I am really new at this sort of thing so any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
    • By AJ-DE
      Hi All, I have a Star Adventurer but have had problems getting consistent results even when setup was as near to perfect as I can do, (this was focussed on due to this issue).

It took me a while to find out that when the eyepiece is is extended for focus it is very loose, so loose the graticule moves indipendantly of Polaris / background.

I have asked the supplier, "Astroshop.eu", to highlight the problem and ask for their feedback.

Question to Astroshop.eu:
      I have had a constant issue with Polar Alignment. As I cannot use it so often, (visibility), it has taken me a while to identify the problem. When I adjust the polar scope focus the eyepiece is so loose that the graticule moves a lot laterally in all directions in the view. I can send a video but I think you can  understand what I am saying.
      Basically I must be getting something very wrong or there is an issue with the product. The thread is so loose it is entirely unstable.
      Please advise what we can do about this.

Answer from Astroshop.eu:
      1. "I'am sorry to say, but this is very normal and does not affect the function of the star adventurer".
      2. "My collegue confirmed that this will not be a issue".

I have subsequently asked the guy to ask his colleague again, but some time has gone past and I have no further reply.

I think it is clear enough from the text and would really appreciate some experienced answer, any comments very welcome.
      Additionally here are the videos I have sent to show them, (hand holding the phone so a bit shaky but issue can be seen. I'd really appreciate some help before I spend too much time again tring to get it to work, for reference the eyepiece wobble is around 3.5 graticule intervals, so not small. As it's full of grease it took me a long time to see how poor quality the Polarscope build quality is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VC1p30t8n45oS6fkdxjkztrnoR1r7c6x/view?usp=sharing
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mjBaecqTmIhXgJUC-dERRYBb-LaryLMN/view?usp=sharing

Thank you all, Andy
    • By Hena
      Hello all, 
      I have come to you all with the "too much asked question". 
      I have been using the telescopes from local Astronomy group since few years, and now during these Corona times, it is harder. So now I have decided to invest some money on getting myself a scope, and would so sooooo would love your inputs. My main concerns are:
      I may use it only once a month or so, I wanted something that I can handle (maybe >10kg). 
      I don't own a car, usually I use a bicycle with a carrier to get around the city.
      (I had a look at the second-hand (5-7 yrs old) Skywatch MAK 127 Cassegrain that my friend was selling with its mount and accessories. I felt it was too massive for me. Especially if I am getting it to a park and setting it up alone).
        I would like to have a look at celestial objects and also at deep space. 
      As far as I know for deep space, I would need a f5 or something with similar focal ratio, and for planetary object a higher focal length (f10 or more) is better.
      I looked into MAK 90-1250, but felt like it might have very narrow FOV. So I am lost here.
        My budget is small (I know that is the biggest problem). I can spare maybe 200€ to 250€. I know its not enough, so I am hoping to start with a decent one (not awesome) and then work my way up. I so need your advice on what might be good parameters to look for
      - I was thinking Newtonian around f8 or so
      - Since its my first scope, maybe get something small and something that I can get comfortable with and use with a bit of ease before getting expensive ones.
      - Also definitely not a Dobsonian mount, I need something that I can set up on lawn or pavement. 
      https://www.bresser.de/en/Brand/Bresser/BRESSER-Venus-76-700-AZ-Reflector-telescope-with-Smartphone-Camera-Adapter.html 
      Is this a good one to start with? Look at planets and maybe some deep sky ones
        https://www.astroshop.de/teleskope/celestron-teleskop-n-127-1000-starsense-explorer-lt-127-az/p,65881#tab_bar_1_select
      I also has my eye on this, but I cant find much reviews  Any other options are quite welcome.
      I tried to setup and use the telescope in the picture, it was quite hard to do it alone and move it around.
      Thanks a lot. Sorry for the saga... 
      Hena

1417b25b-42c8-4909-b731-25c88c7dce42.jfif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.