Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2018_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a4fa178de7d36660e48f7eb1205319eb.jpg

Very nice Victor. Good luck as you build up your site.

• Like 1

Just now, laudropb said:

Very nice Victor. Good luck as you build up your site.

Thank you very much!!

The layout is excellent indeed. Very tidy.

Hopefully you will add observation reports as Your website develops.

I`Ve bookmarked it, and intend to keep an eye on it.

I got the same book btw :).

Amazingly well done so far! :thumbsup:

Rune

• Like 1

Just now, Pondus said:

The layout is excellent indeed. Very tidy.

Hopefully you will add observation reports as Your website develops.

I`Ve bookmarked it, and intend to keep an eye on it.

I got the same book btw :).

Amazingly well done so far! :thumbsup:

Rune

Thank you very much! very nice words! And yes I will add observation (when the weather allows me to observe!)

Do keep writing. It was quite interesting to read. I think you are a bright young man. Bump up this thread when you write up your experiences on the blog, it will be interesting to find out how things develop for you.

• Like 1

Just now, Erla said:

Do keep writing. It was quite interesting to read. I think you are a bright young man. Bump up this thread when you write up your experiences on the blog, it will be interesting to find out how things develop for you.

Thank you very much! I get so happy reading these comments!

very well done.interesting site.some sound advice.good luck with all you wish for.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

You most certainly deserves lots of feedback for Your work and effort from an astronomyforum like this.

I think everybody in here are more than happy to see youngsters like you take such an interest in Astronomy,

and never underestimate Your already great contribution to this forum either.

Rune

• Like 1

great wee site!! very crisp and professional looking but still has a relaxed fell to it! well done and couldn't agree more about starting a blog and sticking up observing reports.

p.s I must say I am quiet jealous of your kit!!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Language a bit iffy on the twitter posts.

I will change that :-)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sun
      POLAR ALIGNMENT IF THE POLE STAR IS OBSTRUCTED (e.g. OBSERVING ON A S-FACING BALCONY!!!) Set up your scope on the floor (assuming it's reasonably level) in equatorial mode, with a rough guess at North. Put the tube into whatever 'home' position the instructions specify, or that you have chosen. Now choose an easily recognisable bright star at mid altitude. Pretend you HAVE polar aligned, and tell the scope to go to this star. When the slewing stops lift the scope very gently and turn the mount round till the star is in the centre of the field of view and you should have a fairly good polar alignment. If you are for example videoing planets and can also autoguide, this alignment may be all you need. But you can now refine it by the drift method if you need to - see https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-resources/accurate-polar-alignment/ This method should be quite useful for Southern hemisphere observing, where the 'south pole star' - Sigma Octantis - is difficult to find especially in light polluted skies. And of course my advice here applies if you have a North-facing balcony!

• By astrosathya
      Hi All,
      I purchased a GSO 6" f/4 Newtonian "Astrograph" late last year and eventually found that stars on one corner were egg shaped while taking images. I narrowed it down to improper centering of secondary mirror from the factory and resulting tilt. 
      Long story short, after numerous iterations, I used the Advanced Newtonian collimation technique by Astro Shed guy and ended up with the below pic of the optics. Does it look ok or do I need to do more? I will be checking with a Howie this weekend too.

• By MikeODay
      The Cat's Paw Nebula ( NGC 6334 ) in Scorpius 
      updated ( slight tweak to colour balance, a little brighter and tad more contrast )  

( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper - a full size image can be seen here )
      original:

( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper - a full size image can be seen here )
      ……………………...
      Also known as the Bear Claw Nebula, NGC 6334 is an emission nebula near the scorpion's tail in the Scorpius constellation. 
      Image details:
      Image centre ...... RA: 17 20 08.185  Dec: -35 52 30.91
      Field of view ..... 57' 37.8" x 38' 51.8"
      Rotation .......... 0.00 deg ( North is up )
      Resolution ........ 0.586 arcsec/px
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( July 2018 )
      6 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 4s to 240s ) all at ISO 250.
      168 x 4 min frames plus ~10 frames each for the shorter exposures  
      Processing:
      Calibration: bias, dark and flat
      Integration in 8 sets
      HDR combination 
      Pixinsight July 2018
    • By Patbloke
      All set up to go with the sole aim of getting some Saturn images!
      To start off it was Jupes again to get some imaging done... The GRS superbly placed and looking Redder than a lidl tomato (subliminal advertising)
      After capturing some film it was time to properly align using Polaris and that wonderful on ya knees polar scope method!!! Boom!! three calibration stars and 'GoTo' whatever you wish for!
      Cygnus time - Check sheets and then give up and go and fetch Sissy Haas bible... 

20 lovely doubles, not rushed just enjoyed and studied hard... working with my Starwave f/11 102 and for those difficult ones a 6.5 Meade HD and even with the 2.5 Revelation Barlow gave interesting views... 200x the recommended max mag on that Starwave, I squeezed more than that out of her. 
      The stars looked round and colourful the companions sometimes hard to spot... But there's a great deal of satisfaction when you see them close by. 
      I made some star symbol notes in the book when a true double of beauty made me smile, my top few were: 
      Σ 2668  Superb
      26 Gyg  lovely
      17 Cyg  
      19 Cyg  Bright Red
      Ψ Cyg 
      Σ 2687  Sharp
      49 Cyg  Faint
      48 Cyg  Wide
      H IV 113  Spot on (why did I write that?)
      61 Cyg  Nice
      Also - Σ 2760, 59 Cyg, 52 Cyg, O Σ 410, Σ 2705, Σ 2588, S 726, Σ 2578, 16 Cyg, δ Cyg
      So that's my haul for the night... By the time I had finished those it was 01:30 and cloud had covered what was left of Saturn. The great thing about that session was that I didn't have those long whiney scope movements around the sky, it was all within the constellation. I expect my neighbours with open windows were also grateful. 
      Love that 102 f/11 Starwave scope.... A lot of the comments in Sissy Haas recommend a 150mm for some of the hits I made with my 102 so I'm happy... to get the colour is special as well... Not sure my alignment was that great because after entering RA & Dec the doubles were not always centered which resulted in me having to move towards the nearest double looking star a lot of the times.
      Didn't get -19 Cyg or T Cyg although I tried... 

Oh and on editing my images I notice I bagged both Europa and Io.... shame Jupiter disappeared behind next doors roof before the shadow made a transit! I've had to lighten one image to show the moons so beware you professionals 🙂

• By Patbloke
      Can't make my mind up on whether or not to buy a newt for ZWO imaging.
      The Skywatcher pds range seem to be modified slightly for prime focus imaging (is this just a DSLR photography thing?) Every imager I have ever met seems to use the smaller newts like the 130 or 150 pds... Someone said that there's less possibility of the tube being bothered by the wind for one reason? 
      I realise that aperture is king when visual observing (yes I also realise that quality is as important) not so sure on imaging?
      I found a reasonably priced used 130p but doesn't have dual focuser which I am used to on my scopes, so I'm tempted to just go for it... However as once having access to a 200p I used to love using that scope for visual... 
      Not sure and I am procrastinating over this one so much I think I'm going to need therapy!!! I have resorted to trying a poll for the first time 🙂 Not sure how that works either, but every day is a school day folks!
      P.S I am reading every photon counts but it's taking some time 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.