Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik 490ex mono

Rodd

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rodd

I had one for a while, it just has power and a USB connector (for the camera interface only) if I remember correctly so the  FW would need its own cable(s). The camera its self was good, nice QE and quite low noise although shallow well depth and tiny pixels. Cooling was not overly powerful but -10 Celcius is all that's needed to kill the dark current. I found the ICX694 chip in my subsequent SX camera slightly cleaner than the ICX814 in the 490EX but then it does have slightly larger/fewer pixels.

Paul

I have the similar 460, Rodd. How warm are your summer evenings? This might be a bit of an issue. An OAG will work fine because the chip is small so the prism can go deeply into the light cone. You'll need separate power for the FW and camera if you go for Atik. (Their wheels are excellent.)

Comparing my 460 with my Kodak 11 meg chipped 11000 you'd say, looking at the darks, that the Sony had far less noise. However, if I take a picture, calibrate it, stretch it, and look at the noise levels I don't find anything remarkable about the Sony compared to the Kodak. In fact I get a sprinkling of darkish pixels in the Sony (not dead, just dark) which I don't get from the Kodaks. (I fix them using colour select in Ps and hitting them with the median filter. This works almost perfectly.) I'm enjoying the small pixels though, from a resolution point of view. (0.9"PP in my case.)

Olly

Archived