Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Apologies in advance but completely new to this I got a second hand skywatcher telescope from a friend and I'm quite impressed with it but while trying to observe Jupiter last night I couldn't work out which lenses was the best   It came with a barlow x2 a super10mm and a super 25 wide angle long eye relief can anyone tell me what is the best set up to use and what is the difference between a 25 and 10 and what gives the greatest magnification 

thanks 

Magnification = (Scope focal length) / (eyepiece focal length). So the shorter the eyepiece the greater the magnification.

For Jupiter about 80x magnification or a bit less 60x should be good., with just 2 eyepieces I suspct that you will not get this overyly easily.

Presume that the eyepieces were as supplied and they are not great eyepieces. So expect to purchase a couple oif additional items.

A barlow in effect doubles the focal length of the scope so if 1000mm a 2x barlow makes it act as if a 2000mm focal length - will say that people tend to talk as if it halves the eyepiece focal length. In numeric terms it makes no difference however I suspect that in opticak terms there are differences produced.

Add the scope, and details, to your signature as unable to suggest eyepiece options without knowing the scope. I say details as there are two 200P's out there. One at 1000mm focal length and the other at 1200mm focal length.

For viewing Jupiter I find that magnifications between 120x and180x are best for seeing cloud details. The magnification you can use is always down to the sky conditions you are viewing through and will vary from night to night. Begin using your 25 mm eyepiece, i.e. Lowest magnification. This will make Jupiter easier to find. The planet will be very small but you should see 2 cloud bands and the 4 major moons, when they are visible. Then try your 10 mm ep.

Archived