Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

13/5/17 21.45 Heads up - shadow transit now

Stu

13 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I managed to stick with the 6mm SLV on the ED 100 and got a very sharp black shadow but lost sky with cloud at 10.15.

I also saw festoons and the GRS like festoon activity that Chris Lock observed, thought I was going mad when I saw it, so thanks Chris for confirming my sanity!

The views in the very good moments were most stunning.

Oddly my friend who lives 5 miles away and was viewing at the same time with his 6se could not see the transit or get the same quality of view, shows how it's very much subject to your location.

What a nice evening session, really glad I got this gap in the virtual permanent cloud of late.

Glad you saw what I was seeing too :) it was quite GRS like, even my neighbour asked if it was the big storm or not.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

That's impressive from the 72mm at 84x! I think those SLV's help with their super low scatter and transmission. Really nice that you shared the transit with your other half :) 

It's amazing what you can see in a decent small apo is'nt it? 

I've seen GRS and shadow transits in anything down to a 60mm FS-60C, and a William Optics ZS SD66mm. Not always easy but very rewarding when you do.

Nice one :) 

48 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Grrr! :( I hope the knee improves for you soon, Derek, that must have been annoying. You've tried a 6" f/8 right? I can't believe what a punch mine packs, and it's proper grab and go, possibly even with a dodgy knee? :) 

I have indeed, Chris, and I have an OO UK 6" F11 that I could have used but it didn't occur to me ?

32 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I also saw festoons and the GRS like festoon activity that Chris Lock observed, thought I was going mad when I saw it, so thanks

There were some nice festoons on show I agree. One was larger and looping around, was that what you are referring to as the 'GRS' like one?

1 hour ago, Chris Lock said:

That's impressive from the 72mm at 84x! I think those SLV's help with their low scatter and high transmission. Really nice that you shared the transit with your other half :) 

I thinking helped that the shadow was well contrasted, tiny black pixel, won't even call it a spot.. the wife commented "yes i think I can see it, near the band just off to the right.. somethings there that looks like it shouldn't be!"

I have been impressed with the 72mm although it's called a semi app in the blurb it has given me lots of nice views.. if anything let's it self down with fc on the 24mm 68 deg.. and it's surprisingly heavy for a little scope.. 

Would have liked to play with the 100mm but it didn't seem worth setting up in the scuttling clouds..

Sounds like some great views were had by those that got clear skies :icon_biggrin:

Forgive my moaning earlier about my skies. Thinking back I did have 4 clear nights in a row last week when other parts had clouds so I'm not so hard done by !

Sorry to hear about your knee Derek - lots of sympathy from me because I'm suffering in the same way here :rolleyes2:

I'm confident about getting a lightweight frac out but a little wary of moving the 12" dob around just now.

47 minutes ago, Stu said:

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

I also saw festoons and the GRS like festoon activity that Chris Lock observed, thought I was going mad when I saw it, so thanks

There were some nice festoons on show I agree. One was larger and looping around, was that what you are referring to as the 'GRS' like one?

Yes Stu, that's what I am referring to, clearly not the GRS but looked similar if that makes sense to anyone else.

I popped out last night for a quick view with the C8 and was instantly struck by a tiny black dot. Checked on line line and realised I was witnessing the transit so had had a fun couple of hours tracking the shadow (in between cups of tea) and seeing Io pop out the other side, as if Jupiter had ejected a tiny egg! Conditions were pretty good, plenty of detail on the disc at x200, no GRS sadly. 

21 minutes ago, John said:

Sorry to hear about your knee Derek - lots of sympathy from me because I'm suffering in the same way here :rolleyes2:

I'm confident about getting a lightweight frac out but a little wary of moving the 12" dob around just now.

Cheers, John - sorry to hear you are suffering in the same way. I'm thinking of sending my knees back - I'm sure they came with a lifetime warranty :wink: 

27 minutes ago, RobertI said:

I popped out last night for a quick view with the C8 and was instantly struck by a tiny black dot. Checked on line line and realised I was witnessing the transit so had had a fun couple of hours tracking the shadow (in between cups of tea) and seeing Io pop out the other side, as if Jupiter had ejected a tiny egg! Conditions were pretty good, plenty of detail on the disc at x200, no GRS sadly. 

Glad you caught it too, Rob :) Tea! now that's the thing that was missing! although I did settle for a nice glass of red before bed :drunken_smilie:

For those that didn't catch it because of cloud, there is another nice transit on Sat 20th (Io and shadow at around 23:30 onwards) and a morning one on Fri 19th (Europa, shadow, GRS) at 03:30.

Might have to ban all telescope outlets from selling anything for the next month though to keep the skies clear, or maybe sacrifice a few dobs at Stonehenge.

Chris

Thanks for the heads up (x2) Chris :icon_biggrin:

What would be great would be a nice double transit event with a GRS transit for good measure. I seem to recall such an event last time around - can we have another please ? :icon_biggrin:

9 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

If just looked up the next transits... there's also a GRS tonight at 22:12 to look out for.. my forecast is not to bad!

Some chance of clear skies, or at least patches of it, here as well tonight :smiley:

According to the Virtual Planet Atlas the GRS makes it's 1st appearance at 9:31 pm.

29 minutes ago, John said:

Some chance of clear skies, or at least patches of it, here as well tonight :smiley:

According to the Virtual Planet Atlas the GRS makes it's 1st appearance at 9:31 pm.

Sounds good, transitting at 11.23 I think, probably will give it a miss tonight but hope it is clear for you.

C925 out on the Vixen GP which seems to be coping just about!

I've been using my home made 'CatCooler' (to be reported elsewhere) to help with cooling, seems to be working well. I just took a quick look using the 24mm Panoptics and there is already some very nice detail visible. More colourful and better resolution than the Tak obviously.

Watching a film for a while, but hope to pop out for a quick ten mins later to have a gander at GRS :)

Got some clear sky here although there is quite a bit of thin cloud. Jupiter looks pretty good ATM. Also got a super split of Porrima (Gamma Virgonis) nearby. What a lovely double that is :icon_biggrin:

I'm using the ED120 tonight.

Clear here but seeing not that good. I'm using the TEC and the GRS definitely looks more washed out than it did with the same scope a few weeks ago. Still pleasing views though, just not wow. Less detail visible within the cloud bands.

Just put in a baader neodymium and that seems to make the GRS pop out a bit more.

Yes, a bit washed out with the haze here too, but the seeing is good. I used my mini grab 'n go (ED80) at x120 and x180 to get the sharpest views in the conditions.

Porrima nearby lovely as ever - a spectacular double.

Chris

Packed in here. The helpful hazy layer of thin cloud has turned into an unhelpful somewhat thicker layer. Funny how it goes from very nice to :tongue: so quickly :rolleyes2:

Nice while it lasted though. Managed to get a good split of Zeta Herc again earlier. 225x did it but 300x did it better :smiley:

Me too John, was only ever going to be a short session.

Good but not great views here, the seeing had dropped off a bit from earlier on. Need to polar align the mount a bit better, plus scope needs a tweak on the collimation too.

Whilst you guys have been having all this Astro fun I have been forced to be in Belfast since early this afternoon researching the local customs. 

If I close my eyes really tight and concentrate I'm convinced this pint of Guinness looks like the a twin Horsehead Nebula ? ? ?

Archived