Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problem Staying logged In

The Admiral

I've previously posted this on this forum, but it got moved to the Forum Suggestions forum, which of course is only able to be read by me! Trouble is, I've had no response on there either, so perhaps the rest of you could let me know what you think.

Previously I accessed SGL through either my PC or my tablet, and once logged in that's the way it stayed. The other day, I also logged in from a laptop, but now find that I only stay logged in on one device at a time. So, if I'm logged in on the PC, I have to log in again on my tablet. Having done that, I then find I need to log in on my PC. It's as if that there is only one token available that has to be passed from one to the other. I've ticked the "stay logged" box on both devices.

Anyone got any ideas on how to stay logged in on both devices please?

Ian

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use four devices to access SGL and rarely have to login. The only time I have found a problem is when a browser has "remembered" two slightly different versions of your login credentials and therefore doesn't know which one to use. Typically this is caused by your username being stored twice - in my case "DRT" and "drt" - both of which are allowed as the username field is not case sensitive.

Try finding the stored passwords in your browser security settings and search for stargazerslounge.com - if it shows you more than one entry keep one and delete all of the others. It should then log you in automatically when you visit here.

Well, as most of you have pointed out, that is the way it should, and did, work. As for finding where user names are stored, I wouldn't know where to begin! I must admit that when the website itself asks if you want the login details stored, as SGL does, I've always assumed that the website's server recognises your URL and connects automatically. This is distinct from where Windows pops up to ask if you want them saved. Perhaps I'm wrong on that. Note that my PC is Win7 and the tablet is Android. The additional laptop is Win8.1, but that is switched off most of the time.

Interested to hear of your similar issue Stuart; but I wonder what the cure is?

Ian

Ian,

Regardless of whether the website or your browser asks if you want to store your password it will be stored on your device, not the website server.

I'd suggest trying to sort your devices one at a time. Can you please tell us which internet browser you use on your main PC?

Derek

4 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Firefox

When Firefox is running find Preferences and then select Security. You should have a button on the screen named "Saved Logins" - click on that button and you should have a window displaying a list of websites and your login names. Type "stargazers lounge" into the search box in that window and it should look something like this...

5917a21572a7f_ScreenShot2017-05-14at01_16_20.png.77e4bfd03cbf86d0b909cc4e2d304092.png

If there is more than one entry delete all but one. The one that is left must begin with "https" (not "http").

7 hours ago, DRT said:

When Firefox is running find Preferences and then select Security. You should have a button on the screen named "Saved Logins" - click on that button and you should have a window displaying a list of websites and your login names. Type "stargazers lounge" into the search box in that window and it should look something like this...

5917a21572a7f_ScreenShot2017-05-14at01_16_20.png.77e4bfd03cbf86d0b909cc4e2d304092.png

If there is more than one entry delete all but one. The one that is left must begin with "https" (not "http").

Thanks Derek. There was only one entry, but it was http, so I deleted it and re-logged in. It is now https. We'll see what that does!

Ian

Nope! The issue is still prevalent, and although the username/password for SGL is retained by Firefox, and it's therefore easy to re-log in, it doesn't automatically log in to the site like it used to.

Better than nothing I suppose; small fry compared to what the NHS is having to contend with!

Ian

Hi Ian, I use Firefox too, on linux (mint 18.1) and have no problems at all.  Going back to Derek's suggestion,  is SGL listed in the saved logins, or is it in "exceptions"?  That said, logically if , providing you do not use any other access point (phone, tablets etc) , your PC stays logged on, it doesn't seem like its a browser or perhaps even an individual device  based problem, unless its some kind of conflict between browsers. Have you changed or updated anything recently? It seems unlikely that it is an SGL based issue given everyone else (as far as we know) has not encountered this problem. I can't imagine it is a "bug" problem that has affected all your devices. Does this happen with any other sites that you use that needs password access? If not  and I'm getting a little bit out of my depth here, could it be an issue in the settings on the router.  On my router I can block or control  access from different devices, but I'm not sure whether it will restrict or control individual logins from permitted devices. Like I say, I might be talking rubbish but just a thought.

Thanks for your reply Ian. I can stay logged in to SGL for as long as I like, whether it's a new session or not, unless I access it from another device, when it defaults to not logged in on the original device. It is a saved login, not an exception, which is why the login details are already populated. It's just that when I go to the SGL page I am not automatically logged in, but it is a simple matter of clicking the 'Sign In' button. I have very few sites that I remain logged in on, but SGL is one that I regularly contribute to, so would like to. I have one other site though, and that is no problem. I remain logged in no matter what device I use. So I can't help thinking that the site must also have something to do with it. There is another site I used to use a lot, but if I remember correctly, that doesn't allow you to remain logged in when not using it for a period. My details are saved, 'somewhere', because in order to log in to that site I just need to start typing my details and they are completed.

Ian

I'm having a StuartJPP moment here! It seems to have cured itself. In the end I got a response from Admin suggesting I change my password, but I haven't needed to do that. Fingers crossed that it stays OK.

Puzzlement indeed!

Ian

It seems possible, looking at the SGL info on cookie use "Clicking on the remember me button when logging in will set such a cookie" so it feasible that  blocking cookie use could cause the problem. Worth checking the settings.

1 hour ago, Alfian said:

It seems possible, looking at the SGL info on cookie use "Clicking on the remember me button when logging in will set such a cookie" so it feasible that  blocking cookie use could cause the problem. Worth checking the settings.

I'm not so sure now though. Firefox is set to save cookies, with no exceptions, and the 'save log-in' box was checked, and indeed the login details were saved. A little odd though that I had the "this site saves cookies to your computer" pop-up. Perhaps that happens irrespective, I've not taken any notice before.

Ian

No Ian, I've wasted enough time on this 'new fangled modern technology stuff' as it is, and it seems to be working properly now, for whatever reason, so I'll leave well alone :icon_confused:. And bear in mind that on Android I'm using chrome, and it was happening with either. I can't help thinking it must be a site-related issue, but what do I know?

Ian

Oh, this is bizarre :icon_geek:

I accessed SGL via my win8.1 laptop this morning, for the first time since it seemed to start the grief! Before I went to SGL I checked Firefox to see if it was saving passwords. No, that was switched off, so switched it on. Then went to SGL, fully expecting to log in, and found it was already logged in! OK, check the tablet. Yes, logged in on that as well. Then checked the PC, logged in on that as well.

Go figure!

Ian

On 18/05/2017 at 08:13, The Admiral said:

Oh, this is bizarre :icon_geek:

I accessed SGL via my win8.1 laptop this morning, for the first time since it seemed to start the grief! Before I went to SGL I checked Firefox to see if it was saving passwords. No, that was switched off, so switched it on. Then went to SGL, fully expecting to log in, and found it was already logged in! OK, check the tablet. Yes, logged in on that as well. Then checked the PC, logged in on that as well.

Go figure!

Ian

Forgive me if I am being presumptuous here, Ian, but I suspect you are, like many of us here, a man of maturity?

May I ask if at some point in this sequence of events you banged on the top of the machine three times with an open hand as though "fixing" a 1970s TV set? If so I suspect that is what fixed the problem :wink:  :lol: 

Archived