Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

battery box cable

rockystar

41 minutes ago, rockystar said:

When wiring up a 12v battery box, do I need any special wiring or can I re-use the wires from an old extension cable?

When you say wire up your 12 volt Battery Box, do you mean that all the output terminals and Plugs will be mounted on
the battery container itself?  
If you intend to supply CCD cameras, Filter wheel, Focuser, USB controlled devices, which the former will of course, as well as their supply voltage.
Also, Dew bands too need supply voltage.
Maybe you are not intending to do any Imaging, but merely just want a supply to your Mount motors.

To answer you question,
Mains extension cable will carry the small currents drawn by most equipment, so it will suffice, they are designed for the heavier loads,
such as Drills and other such tools.

16 hours ago, rockystar said:

just to power dew bands, so it's only light weight set up, just the wires to connect the battery to the switch, jacks and fuse.

Then the cable from a mains extension Power lead will be fine.
The cores are usually coloured Brown  Blue  and Yellow/Green..
If you strip out the wire form the insulation sheath of the cable, make sure
the insulation around the Wires is sound, and no damage.
Short circuits from a 12 volt battery will result in terrific heat, and possible fire, so be careful
Put a line fuse  in the positive supply feed from the Battery to be on the safe side.
You will know what you are doing, but I'm just stressing care.

34 minutes ago, barkis said:

Put a line fuse  in the positive supply feed from the Battery to be on the safe side

yep, that's the plan - thanks. I've got about 2 meters of cable, so I should be able to find some good bits

I would add just be careful as the insulation on cables designed for double insulation is actually different to that of singles, in that the inner insulation is typically thinner and softer as it isn't intended to offer as much physical or mechanical protection.  It should be fine as Barkis says, but just be careful :thumbright:

Archived