Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

You know you've got the astrobug when...

Littleguy80

...you get home from the pub at 1am and decide to pop out for a quick look at Saturn :) Fantastic views, spotted a couple of the moons too. The 15 minutes it took me to find it, due to me knocking the alignment out on my Telrad, are a sure sign that I'd had one beer too many to be handling a telescope ;)

Anyone else been driven by the astrobug to get their scope out when they really shouldn't have?

Yes of course! Back in February I would go out at 3-4AM to get a quick peek at Jupiter! I was too tired to even speak, but I think I said something like "Hey, that's pretty cool." Then I would go back to bed. A couple weeks ago I took the scope out at 6 in the morning for a look at Saturn while the sun was still below the horizon, again to tired to tired to even think about what I'm looking at... Might as well have been drunk! Lol.

Last year after driving for 11hrs the dob mob arrived at our bungalow with pristine clear skies, it was late and we were shattered. We took the decision not to set up incase something went wrong due to fatigue.....we only had one more clear night all week 

5 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Anyone else been driven by the astrobug to get their scope out when they really shouldn't have?

Early hours, last winter, freezing cold, had a chest infection and a painful cough, but noticed the clear sky, so wrapped up and went out.

Mrs. Sweeper had a few choice words.....

Doug.

Here in the States the following expression is being issued by the alcohol-industry: "Drink Responsibly!"

What I take this to mean for us astro-nuts is: Set-up your telescope & peripherals before going off to get 'lit.'

This way, you'll have a lower risk of dropping the scope on your foot in the dark - among other negative consequences.....

Have (some) Fun -

Dave

6 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Many, many times! In fact I've lost count of the times I should have stayed in bed, but instead, set my alarm ready for some astronomical encounter I didn't want to miss. More often than not it was Mars that drew me to do this. When Mars is well placed for observation i really struggle sleeping, and will get up to observe it at any ungodly hour, simply to obtain glimpses of its often barely perceptible albedo features. I don't know why Mars affects me this way as none of the other planets have the same impact on my psyche. I'm just glad its only around every two years or so!

Mike

Yes!

Once, after too many sherbets, I carried my 6" reflector complete with EQ mount and tripod from my house a few hundred yards into the grounds of the nearby rather famous public school. Why? To get a clear view of Mars.

I somehow managed to get it setup and was getting some very nice views of Mars (and probably its new twin planet!) when a large 4x4 arrived with a couple of security guards in it. They asked what I was doing on private property so I gave them a drunken grin and said 'Thatsshh Marssshh over there you know, and I'm looking at it through my telesscchhope'

Remarkably they took me at my word and left me to it :), probably had a good chuckle at my expense too :)

45 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes!

Once, after too many sherbets, I carried my 6" reflector complete with EQ mount and tripod from my house a few hundred yards into the grounds of the nearby rather famous public school. Why? To get a clear view of Mars, when a large 4x4 arrived with a couple of security guards in it.

Remarkably they took me at my word and left me to it :), probably had a good chuckle at my expense too :)

I'm not so sure that was a wise thing to do. That famous school has a bit of a savage reputation and those security guards look pretty mean to me! ?

2017-05-13 11.30.28.png

well.... ever tried polar alignment when half cut.?.....   I'm sure the new SharpCap PA tool would insist on me having a lie down and try again later.  Probably  +/-  5 degrees at best.    Might as well have tried to image on a yacht....in a swell....

Archived