SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My First Moon Shot

Well here it is. Am almost too embarassed to put it up but I won't learn anything if I don't I suppose. The original images were captured on a 2MP web cam using SnapCap. The 1000 frame avi was then processed in Registax using best 85%. Finished off in Photoshop. Be gentle with me guys. :smile:

20_50_11_Lunar_02.jpg

20_57_54_Lunar_01.jpg

I don't think there is any need to ask us to go easy on you, you clearly have taken to this like a duck to water.

I think carry on are you are.

Your images have been taken at near full moon. You can't alter what phase the Moon is at. Imaging the Moon at full get a nice bright disc, but the sun shining directly onto the full face of the Moon bleaches most of the fine detail out other than the mare and the ray systems. If you want to pick up fine detail you have to image either side of the full moon, when the terminator, the line which seperates lunar daytime and lunar night, moves across the face of the Moon. Features near or on the terminator are exposed to sunlight coming in form a low angle, and this is when shadows appear and much finer detail can be determinded. Several books take the reader on what features to observe and image on what day of the lunar cycle. There is a pretty extensive list of nice lunar books in these two articles.

Just keep at it, you are doing better than fine :)

James

https://britastro.org/node/9399

https://britastro.org/node/9279

I can't understand why you'd feel embarrassed. Even though  the moon is almost in full 
direct sunlight, your images show some very fine detail.
The processing has been well done, and produced some great results.
No need to feel anything but proud of what you've achieved, so carry on.

Catch some more as the moon wanes, and the sun gradually starts to set across our satellites surface.
Detail will be more revealing, and I'll look forward to seeing those craters and mountains in stark relief.
You'll need to out at some ungodly times of the morning  mind you, but it will be worth sacrificing sleep
for :icon_biggrin:.  
Well done.

Thanks for the kind comments guys, and the advice. I know I do not have the optimal Astrophotography setup and I still have a lot to learn but am determined to do the best with what I have.

Graham

Nice images.

My question is, how did you get that 1000 frames from AVI? and does that means that any camera with video feature can do that moon shot with video then stacking?

I am interested in to try shooting the moon in video for stacking, but not sure if i should use a special camera for that or any video camera even a DSLR with video can do it. I have 2 cameras that can do Full HD videos, both are photography cameras of top end.

14 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

Nice images.

My question is, how did you get that 1000 frames from AVI? and does that means that any camera with video feature can do that moon shot with video then stacking?

I am interested in to try shooting the moon in video for stacking, but not sure if i should use a special camera for that or any video camera even a DSLR with video can do it. I have 2 cameras that can do Full HD videos, both are photography cameras of top end.

Which 2 cameras would they be then, some DSLRs can take "proper" VGA video, failing that any web cam can be pressed into service, some more easily than others, and capturing and processed with free software.

You can also "stack" individual DSLR images.

Dave

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Which 2 cameras would they be then, some DSLRs can take "proper" VGA video, failing that any web cam can be pressed into service, some more easily than others, and capturing and processed with free software.

You can also "stack" individual DSLR images.

Dave

Are you asking me or you just talk in general about any DSLR? i forgot to say that one is DSLR and the other is mirrorless camera.

We can do that individual DSLR images stacking, but i saw more using video frames for stacking, not sure if that is better or not, but sounds it is much easier with video frames than photos frames.

A couple of the Canon DSLRs can take proper one to one pixel 640 X 480 video which is what you need ideally, this is what webcam type cameras do at various resolutions.

The VGA capture on most DSLRs is simulated by using a cropped bit of the centre of the sensor.

A cheap webcam for a few pounds up to a dedicated video camera for several hundred pounds is the best tool for the job.

You also need some sort of telescope to attach it to.

Dave

They're lovely images. Nothing at all to be embarrassed about! Have a go at stacking in Autostakkert!2 and then take the resultant TIFF into Registax for the Wavelets. I love AS!2. It'll be interesting to see the result you get.

Alexxx

Archived