SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

neq6 garden pier

darknight

just to check really, as the eq6 is a large head unit it seems my pier need only be 2ft from the ground (measuring the tripod) allowing room to put mounting and adjustment plates bring up to 28 inch, just seems small, but as said using measurement from tripod that ok.

34 minutes ago, darknight said:

just to check really, as the eq6 is a large head unit it seems my pier need only be 2ft from the ground (measuring the tripod) allowing room to put mounting and adjustment plates bring up to 28 inch, just seems small, but as said using measurement from tripod that ok.

Assuming your using with a Newtonian ? I'm going to set it at the height of tripod at lowest setting as that's how I use it , 

Are you setting up for visual or photograpic use ? what will be your OTA, cameras etc...

If visual - think about where the eyepiece will end up & if photographic could the equipment\weights hit the ground....

I think as long as the pier is solid then you can put to the height you want. I am going for a 6" concrete post and this will be about 4' from the ground.

It will only be for ap so no visual and need to get enough high to clear a fence.

thank you all, just seemed small I guess, oh well less work :).

I use it for visual and imaging, of both newts and refractors, and have never needed to extend legs on the tripod, you know, just wanted to be sure as once its in!!

I am in the same position.   Thinking about the height of the top plate etc..     Remember things like this exist

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq6-extension-tube.html

so you are probably best being on the lowish side than needing the assistance of  a passing giraffe to look through the eyepiece.

Sean.

That's what I have just done. 6" steel tube from eBay, 1 metre long sunk in to a concrete block foundation with some rebar inside to tie it together.

Drilled the base plate of the NEQ6 extension tube to accept 3x M12 stainless studs (the base plate needs to be inverted so the boss that fits the tripod faces up to give a flat base). Bolt the base plate and studs to a piece of drilled plywood to form the concrete top of the pier. (Plywood us removed once concrete is set).

Fill the tube with concrete and set 3x stainless steel studs in the top.  Key point is to ensure the screw hole for the AZ adjuster pillar is aligned North once the extension is assembled and that the studs aren't splayed so the plate can slide off and on. You only get one go at this. Levelling is not critical, try to get the pier and extension vertical but no need for leveling mechanisms. You may need some large metal washers between the concrete and extension tube base as the extension tube sits slightly lower than the base.

The total height of the pier plus extension needs to be the same as the top your normal tripod setup. 1M tube with about 1/3rd in the ground plus extension is fine for imaging (ED80). Might need a bit more for visual or a longer OTA.

My outside pier is a steel tube also, with about 1m projecting above ground level. The tube is bolted down, not sunk into concrete (in case someone wants to remove it easily in the future). 1m height is about right for imaging with my Newtonian scopes and short refractors. There is no 'leveling' platle & 'wobbly bolts' 1) because they are not required (all the adjustment you'll ever need is built into the mount) & 2) I contructed the pier so it was LEVEL IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

_dsf1418_1024_zpskfomysjp.jpg

Archived