Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen HR 2.4mm

iPeace

You're welcome, Jeremy. :)  I'm also curious about these eyepieces.

As many others already said, what was Vixen thinking when they decided the focal lengths of the HR line?!  They would have sold so many units within the larger range 8mm-2.4mm. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, iPeace said:

I would ask whether there was some kind of physical limit re. the design of the HR which makes longer focal lengths impractical...but even if I got an answer, I am too much of a numpty to really understand anyway.

:happy11:

I like this legend (or true story?) behind the design of the Vixen HR: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/528931-vixen-hr-a-new-ultra-high-mag-eyepiece-line/page-2#entry7113714 . :smile: 

10 minutes ago, Piero said:

I like this legend (or true story?) behind the design of the Vixen HR: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/528931-vixen-hr-a-new-ultra-high-mag-eyepiece-line/page-2#entry7113714 . :smile: 

It's an interesting idea but it would need to be a very fast / short newtonian to enable the HR's to be much use ?:

"...From Japanese Vixen web site, it implies that HR eyepiece is designed to be fast Newtonian coma correcting eyepiece ...."

7 hours ago, Piero said:

I wish the HR were also available as 5mm, 4mm, and 3.3mm for planets with the Tak. Whilst the TOE are getting some mixed reviews as far as I can see, the HR are possibly the best available eyepieces in terms of optical quality at the moment, I reckon. 

I am surprised that vixen started at the focal lengths they did as it is such a small and limited market. You are really limiting your market with 2.4 , 2.0 and 1.6mm. even if you have a quality scope set up at average focal lengths.,  If for example say I wanted to use my 120ed then these eyepieces would hardly be used in my opinion. I have a Pentax 3.5mm and this does not get regular use on lunar due to the seeing conditions and on Saturn then again probably a 5mm would be so much more use, therefore HR 2.4, 2.0, 1.6mm well that could be some serious money sitting around. 

I would of thought it would of made far more sense the HR starting off in the region of 4, 5,  or 6 mm or something around that , maybe 3.5 , 4.5 or 5.5 if vixen wanted something a bit different to the normal focal lengths from other manufacturers. I really think Vixen have missed a trick in not hitting the market to target more persons with a more useable focal length range. Especially as the optics in the HR is supposed to be in a quality bracket such aas the ZAO. As knowing how many collectionist are out there with eyepieces then they could of gone with the very short focal lengths at a later date if that's what they wanted to do also. 

I wonder if they were conceived specifically for the Vixen VSD 100mm f3.8 Astrograph refractor as Tammy on CN pointed out. In the end it's a $5k telescope, so not for everyone. The Vixen HR 2.4mm, 2.0mm, and 1.6mm would give magnifications of 158x, 190x, and 237.5x, respectively. These are all handy magnifications for planetary targets. Being a ultra wide field telescope, the resulting fov of these three eyepieces is more than adequate. 

3 dedicated eyepieces for a dedicated telescope..

If one can invest in a $5k ultra portable telescope to take to remote places on Earth, would it be a big deal to spend other $900 for observing planets and the Moon time to time? probably not!  Would such a user want to use a barlow??  probably not!! 

26 minutes ago, Piero said:

ultra portable telescope to take to remote places on Earth, would it be a big deal to spend other $900 for observing planets and the Moon time to time? probably not!  Would such a user want to use a barlow??  probably not!! 

What can I say? I blew a bit less on the scope, but otherwise...  :grin:

The timing of the release of the original HR series was because Mars was in opposition in May/June 2016.

At the time of launch (around February 2016), Vixen sent us a "press release" document showing the rationale behind behind the addition of this range and their thinking about how the product should be positioned. Below is an edited version of that text:

"100% Strehl ratio on axis

The resolving power outperforms similar eyepieces designed for planetary viewing.  The HR eyepiece maintains more than a 97% Strehl ratio to the edge of the field of view when combined with a Vixen AX103S refractor.  In comparison, the ratio is about 90% with the use of a standard LV2.5mm eyepiece.

Suitable for Newtonian telescopes with fast primary mirrors

The HR eyepieces work excellently with the R200SS as they have the ability to correct coma aberration.  Even at the edge of the filed of view, the HR eyepieces have a 93% Strehl ratio.

The Strehl ratio with use of the LV2.5mm falls rapidly as the viewing object is moved toward the edge of the field of view.  The ratio is only 93% at a fifth from the center and 0% at the edge.

Conventional eyepiece specifications merely show the performance when an object is put in the center of the field of view of the eyepiece.  As a result, the resolving power declines as you move toward the edge of the field of view.  The HR eyepieces are best suited for observing the surface of the moon to extend your view to the entire field of view.

Simple 5 elements in 3 groups lens design

While most eyepieces are constructed from 7 or 8 lens elements, the Vixen HR eyepieces are constructed with a 5 lens elements design to achieve the largest possible transmission of light.  The absorption and reflection of light are virtually eliminated.

Enhanced light transmission characteristics

The Vixen’s AS coatings achieves extremely high light transmission of 99.9% per lens surface.  It is applied to each of the surfaces to deliver extremely high contrast images.

Complete stray light correction

The grooved lens frame construction contributes to the reduction of stray light.  The inside of the eyepiece is perfectly threaded and blackened to prevent deterioration of the image from reflection of stray light.  The inner baffle rings effectively stop any stray light.  Even a hint of reflection which might occur on the tip of the sleeve is eliminated."

I'm not sure I agree with everything they have stated there and don't provide any other data or information to back up the Strehl figures but it does perhaps show what they were trying to acheive.

As far as I know there is no technical reason why they cannot produce longer focal lengths but we've had no confirmation from them about new additions.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

2 hours ago, pete_gamby said:

The Strehl ratio with use of the LV2.5mm falls rapidly as the viewing object is moved toward the edge of the field of view.  The ratio is only 93% at a fifth from the center and 0% at the edge.

Way to go Vixen!  Throw one of your own products under the bus to make a newer one look better.  They should add this to their LV (did they mean SLV since LV are discontinued?) advertising.

4 minutes ago, iPeace said:

...and now have shipping confirmation. I wonder how many of these are to be found in this country? :huh2:

I don't know about the Netherlands but when I discussed reviewing the HR's a little while back with FLO they had not sold any.

If you think about it, an eyepiece range that extends from 1.6mm to 2.4mm and costs £260 per unit is only going to have a small market isn't it ?

If there is a major upsurge in the number of small, short quality refractors being owned then demand might change accordingly !

3 minutes ago, John said:

I don't know about the Netherlands but when I discussed reviewing the HR's a little while back with FLO they had not sold any.

If you think about it, an eyepiece range that extends from 1.6mm to 2.4mm and costs £260 per unit is only going to have a small market isn't it ?

If there is a major upsurge in the number of small, short quality refractors being owned then demand might change accordingly !

Well, all three of mine have come / are coming from FLO. Glad they can get them for me - and fun to try something "out there". :icon_biggrin:

Congratulations! They look great and they should work well on your fast Borg!   999.gif   

I think my "race" for eyepieces has come to an end unless Vixen extend their HR line to longer focal lengths. 109.gif

Just now, Piero said:

Congratulations! They look great and they should work well on your fast Borg!   999.gif   

I think my "race" for eyepieces has come to an end unless Vixen extend their HR line to longer focal lengths. 109.gif

I certainly hope Vixen does just that.

Would be interesting if vixen ever did a 3mm and 4mm HR. But I don't think it will happen. With the likes of Pentax XW at 3.5 mm and 5mm ,  The delite at 4mm , I think they would not risk the expenditure of trying to go up against eyepieces of around 20mm eye relief and 60/70 degree fov. You also have the Nagler zoom 3/6 which is again very good. Would it be profitable for vixen to extend the range against such competition in the 3mm 4mm range ? Probably not . But for us Ortho fans who like super sharp Optics ,a 3mm 4mm and 5mm would certainly be very interested to look through?

5 hours ago, iPeace said:

Triumvirate or Three Stooges - time will tell.  :happy11:

DSC_1231.thumb.JPG.6b6bbae490ce5e85351d06ae4426f821.JPG

These look very interesting to me and I'm really looking forward to hearing your views regarding their performance. If Vixen did make more in the HR line, they could become an addiction. 

1 minute ago, mikeDnight said:

These look very interesting to me and I'm really looking forward to hearing your views regarding their performance.

It was my utter satisfaction with the 2.4mm that got me interested in the other two. Very much a lunar-only proposition for me, but promising enough to be worth trying.

39 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Would be interesting if vixen ever did a 3mm and 4mm HR. But I don't think it will happen. With the likes of Pentax XW at 3.5 mm and 5mm ,  The delite at 4mm , I think they would not risk the expenditure of trying to go up against eyepieces of around 20mm eye relief and 60/70 degree fov. You also have the Nagler zoom 3/6 which is again very good. Would it be profitable for vixen to extend the range against such competition in the 3mm 4mm range ? Probably not . But for us Ortho fans who like super sharp Optics ,a 3mm 4mm and 5mm would certainly be very interested to look through?

I think it was hoped that the new Tak TOA eyepieces might complement the Vixen HR's in slightly longer focal lengths but following a similar design concept. There seems to be some slight uncertaintry about this now though. Initial used feedback is a little mixed and the Taks cost around £100 more apiece than the Vixen HR's :undecided:

Archived