548140465_Animationchallenge.jpg.32379dfa6f3bf4bba537689690df680e.jpg

Greenbelt build of an observatory anyone?

Alan White

I live in a strip of greenbelt and have been looking at observatory builds.
Was looking at a used dome, so asked the question at local council plan team.
I have asked about a dome and been told I would need to make a plan application and its unlikely to pass as it's not an essential building.
Oddly was told a shed obsy as long as within shed rules would scrape through as it's a shed as long as its not bolted down and not need an application.

So who lives in greenbelt and has built and observatory please?
If you are that person what did you do and how did you planners react in your area?

Thanks

Green belts are not nature reserves, they are simply areas where you cannot build additional housing.... you can however build industrial buildings!  They were set up to prevent urban sprawl and loss of identity for small communities.

Of course many councils will go out of their way to make your life difficult so it isn't a surprise that they would cite that as a reason for rejecting planning permission.

• Like 1

Unless you're in a designated conservation area or subject to National Heritage listing, then the permitted development rules should apply, and that should include a dome if it meets these requirements.

• Like 1

On 11/05/2017 at 11:59, RayD said:

Unless you're in a designated conservation area or subject to National Heritage listing, then the permitted development rules should apply, and that should include a dome if it meets these requirements.

Ray you are spot on, I was fed bum information.

As it's for leisure purposes and is within normal allowable shed sizes, it can be built, I am a happier bunny today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Ray you are spot on, I was fed bum information.

As it's for leisure purposes and is within normal allowable shed sizes, it can be built, I am a happier bunny today.

That's fantastic news Alan.  Look forward to seeing the progress :thumbright:

• Like 1

I live in a conservation zone in a small village, so all outbuildings have to have planning permission, no matter how small.

It was therefore with some trepidation that I applied to install a 2.1 m Pulsar dome. It was approved with the stipulation that it should be green (which pleased my wife!).

It was approved. Even better, since seeking planning approval was compulsory, there was no planning fee! Been enjoying it for the last 13 years.

Jeremy

• Like 2

So long as its a temporary structure they cant stop you from doing it.  Last time I looked that meant they they could not have a physical attachment to the ground. Under this definition a shed which rests on the ground but is not physically attached to it (i.e. it may be lifted and repositioned) is fine. I see no reason why the same rule would no apply just because the roof was fiderglass and dome shaped as opposed to flat and made of wood. 

Now the problem that we all have is that the pier has to be set into the ground....just so long as they don't look inside the 'shed' hey. 

Edited by Adam J

Well you see I was going to put up a fence...changed my mind so have built a shed to hide the fence post rather than dig it out..Yes I agree that fence post makes a great place for me to store my telescope mount..About that cup of tea...biscuits?

Edited by spillage
  • Like 5

On 11/05/2017 at 11:59, RayD said:

....or a National Park or AONB where slightly different rules apply. Luckily I'm a couple of miles south of Snowdonia National Park so used permitted development rules (well away from house, less than 2.5m high and less than 10sqm)

• Like 1