Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

James

Another time-lapse; from holidays in Cornwall

I've had a few clear nights recently and had to miss them all so have been able to turn to some earlier data. I've put together a series of timelapses from my annual weekly holiday with my in-laws in Cornwall every April at Gillan Creek near the Helford River on the Lizard in Cornwall.

The very first time-lapse starts off with a 3/4 moon behind the camera and the Milky Way rising, as the Moon drops then sets the ground gets darker and the Milky Way more obvious. Two of the time-lapses were done in daytime showing the tide coming up on Gillan Cove. The people visible in both of these are mostly family :)

The area has many scenic spots I would love to time-lapse from but as you'll all know too well getting the tides, the Moon and the weather all right at the same time is quite rare!

The time-lapse was exported at 4K resolution - if you have a good fast internet connection then that will be best, otherwise 1080p (HD) works well.
--
Equipment used: Canon 6D, 14mm Samyang lens and 24-105mm Sigma Lens
Motion is provided by a Vixen Polarie with time-lapse adaptor and/or a Digislider motorised slider

The background track is "Billions and Billions: from A Moment of Stillness" by Stellardrone (stellardrone.bandcamp.com)

Hope you enjoy..

James

• Like 18

I have a little Mobius camera for RC flying, its about size of a tic tak box but can do time lapse among many other things, must give it a try some time

That's brilliant!  What frame rate did you shoot at?  I have an observatory build coming up and was thinking of doing a timelapse for that.

1 hour ago, AKB said:

That's brilliant!  What frame rate did you shoot at?  I have an observatory build coming up and was thinking of doing a timelapse for that.

24 fps - the bigger question will be what interval to use for your timelapse - i.e. how far apart the images. An observatory build would be a nice one to do :)

Brilliant timelapse as always James, I watched that a few times  - really enjoyed it.  Can I ask what you use to pan your camera ?

thanks

Mark

3 hours ago, James said:

the bigger question will be what interval to use for your timelapse - i.e. how far apart the images.

...in fact, that's exactly what I meant when I asked what rate you shot at.  I suppose it's just a question of squeezing it all into the time that you want the final movie to run.

Outstanding, I watched it 3 times. What did you use for the motion shots? did you just move the camera between frames or did you have a track?

4 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Outstanding, I watched it 3 times. What did you use for the motion shots? did you just move the camera between frames or did you have a track?

Thank you :) For some I used a Vixen Polarie with a timelapse adaptor on just mounted onto a tripod which allows for panning, with one or two of them I also used a motorised slider as well. I haven't yet got the means for easy up and down motion, that's next on the list..

James

Fantastic collection of timelapses there James.  I ought to give that a try some time.

I had a holiday at Gillan Creek two years back and the viewing from that beach was superb - I shot a few milky way photos and watched a flaming orange waning crescent moon rise from the open sea in the gap out of the mouth of the creek, but didn't try any timelapses.  Also caught a lovely mackerel off that tiny peninsula on the right.

Gillan1.jpg

Edited by Ludd
to add photo

Thats was a lot of fun! Lots of stuff happening in the sky and water.