Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An Asteroid, Two Clusters, A Planet, Four Moons

Went out to the 8SE at 9.35, and Jupiter was about all I could see then - Europa and Ganymede on one side, in a line with Jupiter, and Io and Callisto on the other side, at right angles to that line.

I set the GoTo for M44 the Beehive Cluster, and got a fair view of it, even though there was very little to see with the naked eye.

Then open cluster NGC 2281 in Auriga, which was fairly well placed in the EP at x68 - not bad, since I only aligned on Jupiter.  The cluster showed a small number of bright stars, loosely packed, with four being closer in a distinctive "lozenge" pattern.

But the main interest for me was the asteroid Vesta - a close neighbour - which happened to be in that region.  I set the GoTo for Lambda Cancri (ref. SAO 080113 used for the GoTo), and from that, hopped using the star patterns to Vesta itself, which at magnitude 8 stood out very clearly.  

By 10.50, M44 was looking better against a darker sky, then I finished with a further look at Jupiter's moons to see that Callisto had swung well away from its previous position.

A short yet very satisfying session!

Doug.

5 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Glad to read your report, Doug. The heck with the constant clouds! We've been under "The Curse" here, too.

Supposed to relent this coming weekend - and if so, this will make it's way to you as well.

Hang in there!

Dave

Thanks, Dave.  Had some clear evenings here lately - hope it lasts!

BTW, I just kept the ES 30/82 in during this session.  When I got it, it put me in mind of a small bucket filled with lead shot, but I'm quite used to it now and it seems "normal".  I feel even bigger EPs coming on.........

Doug.

Archived