SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Full moon observation in WF

Piero

It is generally advised to observe the Moon during its waxing or waning phases because those are the period when the presence of shadows can reveal most of the details on the lunar surface. A full Moon certainly shows less details and is very bright. Said this, a full Moon placed about 10-15 degrees above the horizon and coming out from the nearby trees can be a wonderful sight when observed in a wide field telescope or binoculars.

I just came in from a session on Jupiter and the Moon. Observing the latter at 28.8x and 3 degrees of fov was just a beauty. Gradually the Moon was climbing the ladder of the sky giving us more defined shadows. All around trees and a pair of birds became temporary actors, while a kind breeze of wind moved those leaves touched by the Moon light. 

Very lyrical Piero.

What the moon steals in light pollution, it hands straight back in atmosphere. It was a quick hour for me and the ED120; with Jupiter, Izar, the Double Double and the Ring Nebula. Simple and most exhilarating.

Paul

the moon was a wonderfull sight lastnight " some say dso imagers scream in fright at the mention of its name :icon_biggrin:" but not me its the main event for me after sol of course, got some shots too, what you lose in crater detail you gain in over all colour and ray detail. great report mate, well wrote, thanks , charl.

Archived