SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter hand tracked dob

john86

Taken 9.05.17 @ 22.37. 3000 frames, 10" dobsonian scope x3 barlow on a ZWO ASI 120 mcs camera. GRS (great red spot) can been seen appearing from bottom left also GRS Jr mid bottom. The slight bump at the bottom right side is Jupiters moon ganymede. Processed in PIPP, AS!2 and RS6. Second photo taken same way and process just slightly earlier.

[ZWO ASI120MC-S]
Debayer Preview=On
Pan=468...
Tilt=304
Output Format=AVI files (*.avi)
Binning=1
Capture Area=344x350
Colour Space=RAW8
Temperature=11.7
High Speed Mode=Off
Overclock=0
Turbo USB=86(Auto)
Flip=None
Frame Rate Limit=Maximum
Gain=53
Exposure=0.0165
Timestamp Frames=Off
White Bal (B)=91(Auto)
White Bal (R)=55(Auto)
Brightness=0
Gamma=50

cc.png

bb.png

That's impressive! How hard was it to keep Jupiter on the chip whilst pressing buttons on your laptop? I was questioning the other day if it was worth trying this with my 6" Dob....now that question has been answered :) 

1 hour ago, Chris Lock said:

That's impressive! How hard was it to keep Jupiter on the chip whilst pressing buttons on your laptop? I was questioning the other day if it was worth trying this with my 6" Dob....now that question has been answered :) 

Hello mate been using this method for around 3 years only just getting good at it though. I use sharpcap to capture the avi and once I have sorted the histogram out on unrecorded test runs I set it to record for 2 mins from pressing start, I basically don't touch the laptop while recording. I find the best way is to be sat down elbow on knee to steady my arm while holding the handle to track, I have got quite good at it lol

8 hours ago, john86 said:

Hello mate been using this method for around 3 years only just getting good at it though. I use sharpcap to capture the avi and once I have sorted the histogram out on unrecorded test runs I set it to record for 2 mins from pressing start, I basically don't touch the laptop while recording. I find the best way is to be sat down elbow on knee to steady my arm while holding the handle to track, I have got quite good at it lol

Thanks John, you're obviously a tenacious man, I did think it would be very hard at such a focal length with a small chip! Well done for sticking at it, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to get good at hand tracking, so might try and get my hands on a 150p or little Mak for my EQ3 with motors. I've not done much planetary or DSO imaging for a couple of years now, but my last few Jupiter and Moon observing sessions I've had an anchoring to image again. 

Keep up the good work, you should call yourself steady hands John ;) 

Archived