SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

dso observing

Bufferz

For DSO obs,is it worth waiting for a new moon in the lunar cycle? The reason i ask is that i popped out last night,and despite the constant lp around, I noticed a few more stars, even by naked eye that i am sure are not there when the moon is visible.

Bufferz,

It depends many factors - how full the moon is, how high it is, what area of the sky it's in, and how clear the air is otherwise.

For example, if the air is very clear (so the moonlight doesn't scatter), the crescent moon is low and to a "boring" horizon, you will get good views of DSOs.

In anything over 50% illumination, however, you're usually better off sticking to clusters really, whatever the weather.

I personally wouldn't say you should just hang about inside until the moon is new though.

Andrew

I agree with the above.

It is generally the case that views are adversely affected by the moon but there's still no reason not to do some DSO observing. Globular clusters and open clusters plus double stars are still relatively unaffected and still provide good viewing

Archived