stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

It's a bit too costly to do really. If you google "Servocat" and "Argo Navis" prices you'll be gobsmacked lol. It's really only worth doing on very large dobs of 18" plus. I don't know of any cheaper kits available.

A more cost effective way is to mount the tube on something like an AVX or better still NEQ6 Pro/AZ EQ6 GT. That'll cost around £800 to a grand new (or half to 2/3rds of that second hand). It's a bit too big for an EQ5 - but the shorter 200P tube (fl = 1000mm) can be used for visual observing on this mount without too much hastle. :)

If you do go down the EQ5 route, it's possible to add stepper motor drives and use an Astroeq to make a very capable goto system, but as Brantuk says, the 200P is a bit too much for imaging on an EQ5.

• Like 1

Maybe its best to keep this scope as it is then.

The only other question I have is, can I attach some form of tracking device to the scope? 

Thanks for your help.

I've also dug out a build design from my local group for you if you fancy a bit of tinkering yourself (could do it considerably cheaper). One of our astronomers made a very nice little dob tracker/eq platform himself (for around £100 iirc) and there's plenty of very interesting references here:

http://www.reinervogel.net/index_e.html

https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/12353-my-eq-platform-project/

:)

Edited by brantuk
On 2017-5-11 at 14:19, brantuk said:

I've also dug out a build design from my local group for you if you fancy a bit of tinkering yourself (could do it considerably cheaper). One of our astronomers made a very nice little dob tracker/eq platform himself (for around £100 iirc) and there's plenty of very interesting references here:

http://www.reinervogel.net/index_e.html

https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/12353-my-eq-platform-project/

:)

That's more like it!

Thanks, will give this a go over summer months.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lenscap
      If anyone is looking for a used Skyliner 200p dobsonian there is one for sale in Bridgnorth, on Facebook Marketplace.
      No connection with seller.
    • By Planetarian
      Hi, I've got a Skywatcher Heritage 130p reflector, and if i insert anything less than 10mm eyepiece, the image won't get crisp. I guess it's normal, but as I'm very new to astronomy, I'd like to know what the sharpness depends on exactly. 
      Is that the focal length (how fast the telescope is? ) or the size of the mirror and how much light it gathers? Or both affect it the same way?  
      Are things the same with refractors in this regard? Thanks. 
    • By ThadeusB
      I have for sale my Skywatcher Startravel 120. Objective lens 120mm; Focal length . It is in excellent condition, clean and only very minor marks. Clean optics, no fungus. The focusser is the original one and works smoothly; 1.25" and 2" adaptors. With both caps.
      A very good starter scope, or good as a portable scope.
      Included accessories: red dot finder; 90 degree star diagonal; 10mm & 25mm EPs; mobile phone adaptor. All in as new condition.
      Please don't ask me to split this package.
      Price £140.00 no offers.
      It will be very well packed.
      Payment: paypal or bank transfer
      I can deliver by Hermes; I can get a quotation for this if you wish. Or you can make your own courier arrangement, or collect in person.
      Please PM me if you would like more information.

• By Quentent
      Hi,

So just today i got my new EQ3 mount and tripod delivered.
      Brought it out, balanced it leveled it etc etc.
      So i polar aligned it,  and selected 2 Star Alignment.
      1st star to align to: Betelgeuse.
      As soon as i hit confirm align the motors kick in but as soon as the mount starts to rotate the motors stop and the hand controller resets itself immediatly and starts initializing all over again.
      I discovered that moving Ra on its own works just fine as does moving Dec on its own but whenever i press for example the left and Up arrows at the same time the mount stops and the hand controller resets.
      Could this just be a problem with power draw? The Synpro box takes 12V DC and is supplied by a 12V DC car outlet type power source. However i changed this to a 3 Pin UK 12V 1A DC & AC plug.

Im hoping the power supply is the issue and not something else.
    • By Soulitude
      Hi everyone I am new here, I live in Perth Western Australia (bottle class 5) and have just brought my new set up. There hasn’t been anyone in the area I can talk to about astrophotography so tried to do it all myself online and I fear I may have incorrectly purchased some things. (I tried to get things one at a time for budget purposes)
      I have this set up
      heq5, evostar ed80, .85reducer & corrector, evoguide 50ed, zwo 120mm mini for guiding and just my canon 200d mkii for the imaging. 
      The telescope, I think I may have brought something that’s not great for imaging and that’s all I’ve wanted to do. 
      can you please provide a better telescope alternative that would be suitable for all my other gear without having to buy like a new mount etc. I’m thinking just a slightly better scope not too heavy, opinions would be much appreciated 💖💖💖 xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.