Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A question for night time observers…

rawhead

Are you primarily a DSO or Planetary observer?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Are you primarily a DSO or Planetary observer?

I have a limited area of reasonable seeing (pretty much at the zenith) due to local light pollution so whatever happens to be there or there about's at the time, I tend to pretty much like it all though #3 for me too.

Steve..

The high % of peeps going for ‘Love it all’ surprises me. After seeing Patrick Moore proclaim (on more than one occasion) to being a ‘planetary man' I assumed seasoned astronomers would eventually line up behind one discipline or the other. Apparently not… :ky:

Ah Jon, what counts as a seasoned astronomer ? I'm certainly not. As you have probably noticed from my observing reports I do like studying the moon, but I also like looking at what DSO's are within my bins/scopes reach. The moon in some ways is a lot easier for a relative newbie, it's easy to find and dark adaptation isn't a problem :)

I don't observe anything, can't remember the last time that I actually looked through the scope (apart froma positioning point of view).

From a purely observational point of view the DSO's are a bit of a let down in my eyes. One small misty blob is much the same as the next - open clusters and Glob's and really the only exception for me. I guess that as the scope size increases this does change somewhat...

But I think that the moon would be quite rewarding, there is a wealth of detail just waiting to be looked at.

I like the Moon, open clusters, binaries and globs. Planets when you can get 'em. I'll have a look at anything really but a lot of DSO stuff is imaging only IMO. As has been said, one averted vision grey bit of smoke looks very much like another. Although having said that I do like imaging them.

One thing that really stands out though is hunting for faint fuzzies - I really enjoy star hoping to where they are and then finding them. Sometimes they stand out and give you a surprise when they're in the FOV, other times it's averted vision only - catching spiral arms is the icing on the cake. The planets are just amazing - like jewels in the blackness of space. Jupiter for example, is so serene in the eyepiece yet it's a massive violent and turnbulent world.

Archived