SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

May 8-9, 2017: Maybe my best Jupiter of the season

Just started processing tonight's haul of Jupiter SER files. Despite occasionally wobbly seeing, I think these came out rather nicely.

Just before midnight:

Jupiter_231037_lapl4_ap35.png.53d56644e222fc7460f51b5a5445e814.png

Just after midnight

Jupiter_001354_lapl4_ap35.png.50763b9e2675a3c9c82297f019e0a748.png

More are currently under way. I also got a load of lunar data. I will start a batch process run in AS!3 later

Pretty good stuff Michael :icon_biggrin:

The seeing here was excellent earlier as well. Your images, very helpfully, confirm those white ovals in the South Temperate Belt (hope I've got the right one !) - I could just pick a couple of those up visually with my 130mm refractor in the moments of best seeing !

Cheers everyone!

5 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

A couple of excellent quality images. How are you getting on with AS3?

I am very happy with it. The main difference is that it can handle much bigger images than before, because it can use more than 4 GB memory space, because it is 64-bit. Otherwise there is very little difference

8 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Cheers everyone!

I am very happy with it. The main difference is that it can handle much bigger images than before, because it can use more than 4 GB memory space, because it is 64-bit. Otherwise there is very little difference

Thanks for the info Michael.

Excellent images Michael with a lot of detail - definitely all points to  good haul! Seeing here started off not too bad but then got a bit wobbly as someone turned on the fade detail button!

Best regards,

Ralph

On 2017-5-9 at 00:23, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

AS!3

Really nice results Michael and nice depth/detail in this.    Catluc squeezes the extra detail out, but on balance I think I prefer the slightly smoother/softer process on this.

What's with this AS!3 then - have you got a direct link into Emil's alpha test programme ;)   

2 minutes ago, SnakeyJ said:

Really nice results Michael and nice depth/detail in this.    Catluc squeezes the extra detail out, but on balance I think I prefer the slightly smoother/softer process on this.

What's with this AS!3 then - have you got a direct link into Emil's alpha test programme ;)   

Cheers Jake! I have done a reprocess which I will post later. Stacking more frames allows me to push harder. The balance between noise and detail is always a hard one, and it also depends on the monitor and the image scale which is preferred. Another role might be played by visual acuity. I have high visual acuity (1.6-1.75, i.e. 60-75% sharper than average), which means my eyes won't blur out the noise as much as people with more average visual acuity. The same happens if I display the images at smaller scales: residual noise is far less apparent on a very fine pitch monitor compared to a coarser pitch.

Here is the link to AS!3: http://www.astrokraai.nl/software/latest.php

28 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Cheers Jake! I have done a reprocess which I will post later. Stacking more frames allows me to push harder. The balance between noise and detail is always a hard one, and it also depends on the monitor and the image scale which is preferred. Another role might be played by visual acuity. I have high visual acuity (1.6-1.75, i.e. 60-75% sharper than average), which means my eyes won't blur out the noise as much as people with more average visual acuity. The same happens if I display the images at smaller scales: residual noise is far less apparent on a very fine pitch monitor compared to a coarser pitch.

Here is the link to AS!3: http://www.astrokraai.nl/software/latest.php

Thanks Michael - look forward to the new process and thanks for the link, looks like Emil's been hard at work so will give the new version a test drive on last nights data :)

2 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Really superb C8 images... well done!  I'd be tempted to scale them down a bit, they look much sharper viewed at a smaller scale on my phone screen compared to full size on my laptop.

I agree they are best seen at somewhat smaller scale than they appear here. I am a bit puzzled that they seem to be scaled up when viewed in the browser, compared to viewing them with the Windows image viewer, which shows them smaller. On Linux ImageMagick display shows them exactly the same size as in the browser. Rather odd. Scaling down to 80% of current size does look better in the browser, I feel.

Archived