SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Finding the Y in Wargentin

John

The Moon is around 96% illuminated tonight but there is still enough terminator to provide some rich pickings.

I was scouting around the large crater Schickard with my 130mm refractor and found the rather unusual lava filled 87km wide crater Wargentin close by. This crater, named incidently after an 18th century Swedish astronomer, is filled to the brim with lava to the extent that it has overflowed here and there.

The lava plain that fills the crater is far from flat though and has been pushed up into a Y or bird's foot shaped series of ridges that cross the crater from side to side. I could see the Y shape tonight at 171x as it caught the light. Quite an unusual and distinctive feature and not one that I've seen before :icon_biggrin:

Here is a piccy (not mine, alas) of Wargentin (arrowed) in which you can just about make out the Y shaped ridge system. It was actually a bit better illuminated tonight than it is in the photo:

wargentin.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived