Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

adyj1

SynScan 'AZ' Handset with EQ5 / EQ6 pro ?

Hi,

I've got one of the cheap Skywatcher SynScan  AZ mounts (like this one: Synscan AZ (with Skyhawk 1145p) ) and the handset has a 'Synscan AZ' sticker on it (see pic.).  It runs the v3 synscan firmware (an old version for now, until I can get a cable).

I've seen a couple of the EQ 'Pro' mounts advertised without a handset (as they've been using EQDIR) and wondered whether this handset would work with those mounts? I know I will need to get get the appropriate connector for the mount end of the cable; (I think EQ5 uses RJ11 and EQ6 uses RJ45)

I have read that all Synscan handsets should work with all Skywatcher EQ mounts, but as mine has an 'AZ' sticker, I thought I'd check and see whether anyone has actually done it with one of these...

Thanks

Ady

59109b2489011_synscanhandset.jpg.be7913c444cbe9a7ce895ab369671134.jpg

14 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

Hi,

I've got one of the cheap Skywatcher SynScan  AZ mounts (like this one: Synscan AZ (with Skyhawk 1145p) ) and the handset has a 'Synscan AZ' sticker on it (see pic.).  It runs the v3 synscan firmware (an old version for now, until I can get a cable).

I've seen a couple of the EQ 'Pro' mounts advertised without a handset (as they've been using EQDIR) and wondered whether this handset would work with those mounts? I know I will need to get get the appropriate connector for the mount end of the cable; (I think EQ5 uses RJ11 and EQ6 uses RJ45)

I have read that all Synscan handsets should work with all Skywatcher EQ mounts, but as mine has an 'AZ' sticker, I thought I'd check and see whether anyone has actually done it with one of these...

Thanks

Ady

The AZ handset will work with a Synscan EQ mount if it is running the recent version of the Synscan firmware. The firmware will detect the type of mount, az or eq, automatically select the correct alignment routine for the mount. To connect the handset to a Synscan eq mount you will need a cable, a cat5 network cable for EQ3, EQ5 and HEQ5 or the appropriate one for the other mounts.

Yes, I had one with this sticker on, and I flashed it with the latest firmware and now it works with any Skywatcher mount.

James

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jambouk said:

Yes, I had one with this sticker on, and I flashed it with the latest firmware and now it works with any Skywatcher mount.

James

Thanks for replying James. Have you used it with any other SW mount? 

Ady

I've used it with:

AZEQ6

NEQ6

HEQ5

AZ GOTO 

I think I also used it on an EQ2-3 when I was helping to trouble shoot some problems someone was having agter they'd fitted motors to that. So yes, pretty much works on any SW mount. I've not used it on an EQ8 or an AZEQ5 or the new 6.

James

• Like 2

Thanks James. Just the info I needed. ☺ 

Ady

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By PlanetGazer
      I was hesitant to write this earlier, but I wanted to try all possible ways to get my new SkyWatcher 250P GOTO allgined, but to no avail.
      I have followed the instruction manuals of both the synscan and SW, and managed to get the message "alignment successful" multiple times on the handset or the app. The closest I got when I tried to dial a different star was a 20 to 25 degrees off on the azimth axis. Most times it's off by a margin on both axes.
      I have tried aligning around 30 times on more than 5 diffrenet occasions, different locations as well. I end up ignoring the thing and switch to navigating manually as the eager friends want to observe instantly, but we ran out of objectes and the planets are not close anymore, so I figured it's time to get deeper DSO's and sort out the GOTO.
      Here is what I do:
      • I level the scope to the zero reading on top of the base
      • I make sure the base is level with a spirit level I bought recently
      • I point the scope northish, but latley I bought compass to pinpoint north
      • I plug all equipments in and then switch on the power from a lead acid battery
      • I enter the date ( US fromat, month before day 😕 )
      • enter correct time zone obviously
      • the coordinates in the format of E 000 00 , N 00 00 
      • As for  elevation I use "my  elevation" app, not sure if it's accurate. Does this entry have to be that accurate?
      • I tried both brightest star and the 2 star align methods on the handset (which seems to be the same thing apart from the brightest method having an extra menu asking for which direction you are pointing at)
      I even used the synscan app and the synscan pro, and tried the 3 star align method. The app uses location and enters all data automatically
      •I use the top and right arrows as the last press before centring the star in the eyepiece as  recommended by the manual

These are the steps I follow when I align , is there anythung I missed? Your kind help is much appreciated.

Update: issue solved, check the reply in the second page

• By Oslet
      Sooo...I'm getting quote frustrated here. This spring I tested my HEQ5 with guiding. The synscan controller was connected to the computer trough the USB plug on the hand controller. This worked like a charm in my living room. On the new controllers you dont need the rs cable. But when I tried the whole thing with guide cameara for some live shooting, it just did not work. I get something wrong with the com port in decice manager, driver not working. I have tried 3 different drivers. The whole thing responded, connected and was guiding when i did a dummy test before the summer. So setup is pc-synscan via usb for pulse guiding. Can it be a problem with windows 10? What t h.... just happened? Where can I find a driver that works? And believe me it worked 5 months ago, argh. Thanks for any respons and support
    • By Phillips6549
      With several clear nights over the past week,  I've been playing with the Synscan Pro app (Android) in conjunction with a Synscan WiFi adapter on an EQ3Pro mount.  I have to say I'm generally quite impressed.  Much cheaper than buying a traditional handset.  
      However,  this evening I was trying to "creep up" on the Andromeda Galaxy by star hopping towards it via Mirach,  Mu Andromedae and Nu Andromedae.  Mirach was no problem but the other stars were not available for selection in the app.  Am I missing something?  I couldn't find any way to enter an SAO number or any other catalogue number to find the minor stars.  
      Is this a limitation of the app?  Or the adapter perhaps?  Or is it me? 
      Clear skies, 
      Mark. 
    • By Joshua Fulker
      Hey, I've been looking for a mount for my 8 inch skywatcher reflector for a while now and can't decide what mount to buy. The requirements i am looking for are the following:
      Goto system or synscan 
      10+ kg weight capacity 
      Tripod
      My budget is around £500. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good mounts or point me into the right direction. 
      My goal is to get better at astrophotography, my previous mount was a dobson mount ( which came with the scope ) but does not have any features to track objects which doesn't help when doing astrophotography. Tnanks
    • By Anne S
      I'm trying to update my v3 handset prior to selling the mount. I need to update the bootloader from v1.0 to v1.7 before I can upgrade the firmware from 3.12 to the newest version. I've tried following the instructions in the bootloader download but the upgrade loader refuses to install anything.
      Before I realised I needed to update the bootloader, the synscan loader v3.3 just showed 255 255 255 where it should display the handset software, ie 3.12.
      Can anyone advise what I'm doing wrong?
      The handset won't run the mount probably because I had a replacement motor control board a few years ago., I'm guessing. It worked fine before that. I've been using eqMod for years.
      Thanks.
      Anne

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.