Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents_winners.thumb.jpg.0650e36a94861077374d1ab41812d185.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Zac Scott

Imaging Software for Linux

Hello, first time poster here :-)

There is plenty of software out there for imaging on Windows but what about us fellos who are running Linux?

I am looking at getting my first astrophotography rig and I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible. A new laptop could be within budget but I'd like to avoid if possible, the money could be spent on better things.

I'd be using my DSLR, at least to start with. What are the options, capture & processing wise, if any?

Oh thanks, I'll give it a read now. I did have a search through the archives, clearly I didn't do a very good job.

Linux DSLR support is mostly handled using gphoto, unfortunately this can be somewhat finicky depending on what camera you have.  This is normally because the manufacturer has not released an SDK and does not support Linux.

KSTARS is very good though so as long as gphoto likes your camera you should have no problems.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By stardude07
      Hello,
      I am wanting (not really 😪) to sell my Stellarvue SV105-3SV with tube rings [not shown in pictures]. The telescope is in great condition with very little dust and no scratches. There is one very small ding in the dew shield paint but it is not dented and it is almost not even noticeable. It happened when I took the telescope out of the saddle and it lightly hit the saddle. The telescope has never been dropped or had any issues and is optically perfect with a strehl of .95 or higher (claimed by Stellarvue).
      I've only used this telescope for imaging however I've once or twice thrown an eyepiece in it during a star party or two and it's VERY crisp with no false color.
      Currently I live in Italy so that's where it can be picked up or shipped from. Price is negotiable however Stellarvue says it is worth around $1200-$1500 USD. The nice thing is you wouldn't have any VAT from Stellarvue . Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or are interested.
      Lastly, here is a link to some images that I've taken with it and what it looks like mounted up: https://www.astrobin.com/users/chriscorkill/
      SV105-3SV Specifications
      Aperture: 105mm Apochromatic Precision Triplet Focuser: 3" Dual Speed Focuser with 2" and 1.25" eye piece adapters F Ratio: f/7 Focal Length: 735mm Color Correction: Excellent Minimum Tube Length: 16" in travel mode Tube Diameter: ~ 4-1/8" (105mm) Dew Shield Diameter: ~ 5-3/8" (137mm) OTA Weight: ~12lbs (5.4kg) Retractable Dewshield: Yes

• By stardude07
      Hello,
      I have a question about filterwheels; SBIG filter wheels specifically. As far as I know they are the only ones that really use the 8 position filter wheels. So I have it loaded with L, R, G, B, Ha, OIII, and SII. So that is seven filters, what goes in the 8th slot???
      Thank you for your insight,
      Christopher
    • By alexwolf
      Hello!
      Today we published first release candidate to version 0.19.1 - please help us testing Stellarium!
      List of changes between version 0.19.0 and master (0.19.0.16926/0.19.1RC1):
      - Added allow to search an inactive meteor showers in Search Tool/Lists tool
      - Added 'Azimuth vs. Time' graph into AstroCalc/Graphs tool
      - Added feature to show tracks for latest several selected planets (GH: #539)
      - Added calculation and showing the orbital period for artificial satellites
      - Added revolutions per day info for artificial satellites
      - Added tools for jumping to the next or previous time of rising, transit or setting for selected object (GH: #484)
      - Added new behavoir for AstroCalc/Graphs when clicking within graph area now sets current time.
      - Fixed issue in script 'Mercury Triple Sunrise and Sunset'
      - Fixed crash of Stellarium for eyepieces with permanent crosshair
      - Fixed Stellarium crash when Remote Control plugin is working
      - Fixed computation of assume radius for minor planets.
      - Fixed the issue of the scrolling not working properly on Mac (GH: #393)
      - Fixed crash in Scripting Engine (Hide artificial satellites through StelProperties in core.clear() method to avoid crash if plugin was didn't loaded)
      - Fixed planetarium crash in HiPS (network manager delete problem)
      - Fixed position problems on the Poles (GH: #391)
      - Fixed scaling Telrad sign on HighDPI monitors
      - Fixed surface occlusion bug even with landscape turned off in scripting engine (GH: #680)
      - Fixed building with cmake -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON (GH: #683)
      - Fixed error in constellation file format (Babylonian)
      - Fixed Europe/Volgograd time zone settings (GH: #686)
      - Fixed HiPS handling of allsky download (GH: #671)
      - Fixed progress bar rendering (GH: #671)
      - Fixed positive declinations issue in AstroCalc tool when option 'Use decimal degrees' is enabled (GH: #690)
      - Fixed file names inconsistency
      - Fixed constellation line in "Japanese Moon Stations" skyculture
      - Fixed file name for constellation boundaries in Stellarium User Guide
      - Fixed the user interface problems in Oculars plug-in (GH: #580)
      - Fixed getting the wrong values in objects/info method for selected object for different formats (Remote Control plugin)
      - Fixed refresh plots when AstroCalc dialog becomes visible again (AstroCalc/Graphs tool)
      - Fixed jquery vulnerability (GH: #694)
      - Fixed date and time dialog behaviour: Hour/Minute/Second spinners now correctly trigger signals dateChanged(), dateChangedByYear and dateChangedForMonth() when days, months or years are affected by it.
      - Fixed update graphs in AstroCalc/Graphs tool when days change
      - Updated planetary nomenclature
      - Updated common names of stars and DSO's
      - Updated cmake rules for Windows deployment
      - Updated DSO textures
      - Updated behaviour of HiPS survey if Stellarium started without network (GH: #681)
      - Updated GUI for ArchaeoLines plugin (GH: #689, #682)
      - Updated default pulsars catalog (v1.60)
      - Updated list of asterisms
      - Excluded Armintxe skyculture and landscape from default package
      Download link: https://github.com/Stellarium/stellarium-data/releases/tag/beta

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.