SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Camera recommendations?

Thalestris24

Hi all

I have been using a qhy minicam5s mono (a cooled qhy5l-ii) which is pretty sensitive and is ok. It's attached to an 80mm TS Apo. I'd quite like to do some video AP with the 115mm Apo but I'd probably want something bigger - maybe 4-6MP (so definitely not a Lodestar or Ultrastar!). Maybe colour, though mono is obviously more sensitive. Maybe cooled but I'm not sure how essential cooling is with short exposures.

Any thoughts?

Louise

Only one I have listed that appears to fit is the ZWO ASI 178. At 6.4Mp and a 7.4x5.0mm sensor. Seems it comes in mono, colour, cooled or uncooled.

May be another as I have not kept my little spreadsheet up to date.

7 minutes ago, ronin said:

Only one I have listed that appears to fit is the ZWO ASI 178. At 6.4Mp and a 7.4x5.0mm sensor. Seems it comes in mono, colour, cooled or uncooled.

May be another as I have not kept my little spreadsheet up to date.

Hiya

Have you used one?

HI,, im just along the road in Cumbernauld, since you have canon cameras ,have you ever thought of using backyard eos and astrotoaster,,, I have the colour version of the qhy5 but I prefer my dsr cameras ,,,twin 600d and modded450d..worth  a go,,byeos can be downloaded as a trial version and astrotoaster is free

this is a tutorial from a friend of mine   

13 minutes ago, shirva said:

HI,, im just along the road in Cumbernauld, since you have canon cameras ,have you ever thought of using backyard eos and astrotoaster,,, I have the colour version of the qhy5 but I prefer my dsr cameras ,,,twin 600d and modded450d..worth  a go,,byeos can be downloaded as a trial version and astrotoaster is free

this is a tutorial from a friend of mine   

DSLRs aren't sensitive enough really though I might try Astrotoaster one day.

Louise

sorry, I haven't any high mp cameras. as suggested the 178 chip cameras (starvis sensor) also found in the altair astro camera,,lots of images on the altair astro facebook page

Archived