Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher Esprit 80 Mount recomendations

Hi all,

Any help and advice you can provide me on this subject would be greatly appreciated. I'm not new to Astronomy but very new to Astrophotography and currently in the process of researching the equipment to start capturing photo's using my skills of being able to find already,

Currently I have a Skywatcher EvoStar 80ED and looking at upgrading to the Esprit 80 more personal preference but I am unsure if my Current EQ1 would do the Job for this I've been searching around but can't find too much info. I've looked at the Weighs of the Esprit and if I've looked correctly I think my EQ1 would struggle  to support the weigh.

Kind regards

Sharkey

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

The usual minimum recommendation when starting imaging is an HEQ5 it's not just equipment weight that you need to worry about.

Dave

Hmm Thanks for the input Davey, Just taken a look at the HEQ5 an thats gunna burn a hole in my pocket along with the Esprit quiet nicely :p but be worth it in the long run. I'd imagine tho I could get the EQ5 and get the Tracking motors as an upgrade later on down the line.

If I'm wrong on that then do tell me but from what I can see thats all it looks like the difference between the EQ5 and HEQ5 is

6 minutes ago, sharkey93 said:

Hmm Thanks for the input Davey, Just taken a look at the HEQ5 an thats gunna burn a hole in my pocket along with the Esprit quiet nicely :p but be worth it in the long run. I'd imagine tho I could get the EQ5 and get the Tracking motors as an upgrade later on down the line.

If I'm wrong on that then do tell me but from what I can see thats all it looks like the difference between the EQ5 and HEQ5 is

There are far more differences than similarities. The only thing the EQ5 and HEQ5 mounts have in common is the tripod, And they are both white.

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Personally I'd get the HEQ5 and use your existing scope rather than scrimp on the mount.

Are you using a DSLR ?

Dave

Problem with my Evo is she needs some work, So I'd have to price up repairs and things If I was to go down that route which is why I was just looking at upgrading to an Esprit as I like the Scope in general since I saw it at a Trade show in the US when I was state side

Just now, Davey-T said:

HEQ5 is nice and portable.

You'll still need to spend money on other stuff so better save some :grin:

Dave

Might make it a long term project over the next year an by the end of next year I should be fully ready, I've got some good Eye peices from my Evo too so I'm good for Regular viewing in the mean time,

Also got 2 Barlows one 2x and one 3x to reduce the amount of eye peices I needed

For astrophotography, scrimp on the mount at your peril....... if it was doable on an EQ3 or EQ5 on a sustainable basis, we'd all be doing it. The HEQ5 is recommended for a reason.... Ignore that wisdom and you will pay the price, later, when you then buy a HEQ5. Sure you can do imaging with the EQ5, there's a long running thread on the forum showing that this is possible, but funnily enough no one stays with the EQ5 unless they have to..... people jump ship to an HEQ5 when they can. This is for a reason :)  

Did I tell you that the mount is important? LOL!!! 

If you are looking at an Esprit this suggests to me that you want to get good images... seriously, do yourself a favour and get the best tools for the job from the off. 

Beginners do often find it difficult to believe that the mount is the key item. (The camera comes second and the optics third.) But this is how it is. Suppose you have the best camera and scope in the world but they are waving around on the end of a stick. Can you take a high resolution image with them? Clearly not. You need an accurate mount. Unless you spend a fortune this means that you also need an autoguider for your mount. Only then can you do justice to your optics.

Olly

18 minutes ago, swag72 said:

For astrophotography, scrimp on the mount at your peril....... if it was doable on an EQ3 or EQ5 on a sustainable basis, we'd all be doing it. The HEQ5 is recommended for a reason.... Ignore that wisdom and you will pay the price, later, when you then buy a HEQ5. Sure you can do imaging with the EQ5, there's a long running thread on the forum showing that this is possible, but funnily enough no one stays with the EQ5 unless they have to..... people jump ship to an HEQ5 when they can. This is for a reason :)  

Did I tell you that the mount is important? LOL!!! 

If you are looking at an Esprit this suggests to me that you want to get good images... seriously, do yourself a favour and get the best tools for the job from the off. 

I'm not ignoring anyones Recomendations, Like I said I was considering the EQ5 but I'm gunna get the HEQ5 instead, just Might get it in chunks buy a bit at a time or Finance it and get all out right

Just now, Gasman said:

Nice one Sharkey, I have the 120 Espirit and can highly recommend that range of scopes!.

Steve

I wanted a 150 or 120 but its a bit out of my Price range and I've used an 80mm for a good few years so I'm getting the 80 :)

The advice already given is sound but you did mention it needs to be transportable so it would be beneficial if you could see an HEQ5 in the flesh as they are not "lightweight" and I certainly couldn't shift one on a regular basis. 

Alan

3 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The advice already given is sound but you did mention it needs to be transportable so it would be beneficial if you could see an HEQ5 in the flesh as they are not "lightweight" and I certainly couldn't shift one on a regular basis. 

Alan

Yeah thats my concerns with the whole thing which was why I looked at the EQ3 originally as I've moved my mates one an it fits fine in my Hatch back with camping equip and gear and stuff

Just now, sharkey93 said:

Yeah thats my concerns with the whole thing which was why I looked at the EQ3 originally as I've moved my mates one an it fits fine in my Hatch back with camper and gear and stuff

Thats always the problem with AP, the HEQ5 is the correct mount for your intended scope and smaller alternatives wont realy work well, the other option is to have a lightweight rig with DSLR and lenses for portability and the HEQ5 at home for the scope.

Alan

Whereabouts are you ? there are a few astro shops dotted around if there's one in travelling distance it's worth going to see stuff in the flesh so to speak.

On the transportable subject there are plenty of folks that take EQ6s to star parties a lot heavier than the HEQ5

Dave

Archived