Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Optics VX10 collimation

Hi. I would appreciate some advice on collimating an OO VX10..

Recently purchase secondhand when I took off the fan cover to collimate the beast ( my old scope was a 150mm F/5 newt) I noticed that, going by the pictures on OO site, the three hex headed bolts on the outside of the knurl headed bolts are missing. I have two questions about these missing bolts. Does anyone know the length and diameter of these - so I can replace them - and are they the tensioning ( my guess : yes) or adjusting bolts?

In advance , thanks

Can you please post some pictures of the back end of your scope?

I have a VX12 and do not need to remove anything to collimate it. 

PS: loving the user name ?

By your description they are the tensioner bolts. The fan cover, this I expect to be the rear primary cell plastic lid / cover.  Here is a picture of a tensioner bolt for my VX8L. which I think is 5mm Diameter. Someone may provide more specific detail and you could phone or email OOUK, they will confirm or if necessary provide a set. 

P1070328.JPG

Heres a pic of my OO VX10

The outside silver bolts are to lock the mirror in place once collimated. Should only be finger tight. The inside black headed bolts are spring loaded and used for collimation.

IMG_1397.thumb.JPG.08ac965466794d3fddc19c118523c6d3.JPG

On my Orion Optics 12" the hex headed bolts are for mirror cell locking wheras the collimation ones are knurled wheels like in Scoot's picture.

I don't tend to use the locking bolts on my scope.

My VX8 had the same set up as the photo above. However, I did not like the locking bolts so they were removed. In addition the knobs that work the primary springs were difficult to move so I replaced them as well. Collimation is now very easy and I can easily turn the knobs whilst looking through the Cheshire.

As the scope was set to view the Sun I decided to take a photo of the mirror cell. The little circle near the top left bolt is a yellow sticker to remind me of the positions when I remove the mirror cell.

IMG_2373.jpg

My VX8L is the same as yours. It's very easy:

1) First un-tight the 3 silver bolts

2) Now the black bolts can be adjusted to collimate the primary mirror

3) Finally, don't forget to tight (finger tight only) the silver bolts!

Do this AFTER having collimated your secondary mirror.

Good luck!

I took my 'locking bolts' out too. I cannot see the point of loosening something which then needs to be tightened only to be loosened and tightened again next time with no apparent benefit. I just collimate the primary with the actual collimation 'nuts' and then observe.

If you get someone to tighten the screws finger tight as you observe through the cheshire you'll probably see the collimation move again.

Archived