Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Two rilles, a chain and a concentric crater

Nyctimene

Friday evening, I was out for a one hour lunar (and Jupiter) session with the 18" Obsession. Moderate seeing allowed the use of up to 200x mag. with the Baader Zoom Mk III. The terminator was placed at the southwestern part of Mare Nubium. The Hesiodus rille showed quite distinct, extending in the dark beyond the terminator.   Bullialdus' s terraces were contrasting with the low crater rim of nearby crater Kies.  Directly adjacent S to Hesiodus located is the concentric crater Hesiodus A (as I learned later, Nr. 81 of the Lunar 100). The two rings showed perfectly circular and fitted exactly one into the other, a nice and unusual sight!

I had a short look at the dark lava spots on the floor of Alphonsus, went over to Rupes Recta (Straight Wall) with  crater Birt and the conspicuos Rima Birt. Moving NNW, I could make out another Lunar 100 object (51), the Catena Davy, the result of comet-fragment impacts, extending roughly E-W over 50 km.

Jupiter: The Great Red Spot was just in the meridian and showed itself in a vivid orange colour; in moments of good seeing, using 250x, I glimpsed parts of the white surrounding area.

An article in S+T is very tempting for the search of more concentric craters; here's the link:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/crazy-about-concentric-craters02252015/

And here's the gold mine for concentric craters (taken from the S+T article): http://the-moon.wikispaces.com/Concentric+crater

Thanks for reading

Stephan

Nice report Stephan :icon_biggrin:

Interesting to read reports of lunar and planetary observation with really large aperture scopes :icon_biggrin:

Concentric craters are interesting and nice to observe. Useful links - there are quite a lot of them to find !

Archived