SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Targets when there's a full moon

The forecast for next Wednesday currently looks great but it's also a full moon. I have lots of new toys to try out. Low and mid range eye pieces and narrowband filters. I was thinking M44 would be good for the eyepieces but are there any nebula that are bright enough to be found even with a full moon?

All suggestions greatly received :) 

Don't think there are many nebulae to see at the moment as it is galaxy season.  Nebulosity would be difficult to see with a full Moon anyway.  I am primarily an imager, so not wildly experienced at visual, but you should be able to see M13 Globular cluster, try the veil nebula when it rises sufficiently, not sure how bright it is and whether it can be seen with a full Moon.

Jupiter and Saturn if you have a suitable horizon.  

Carole 

The Moon makes a good target for testing kit. Have a read of some of the observing threads and try to pick out some of the difficult to see features.

I had a quick look at Stellarium, for next Wednesday, and M44 is about 100 degrees to the west of the Moon, so should be OK. If you are going to look at Jupiter, or the Moon, I would suggest, to get the best from your night vision, that you look at the dimmer objects first.

It may help, if there is some way that you can shield the Moon from your left eye's peripheral vision (baseball cap at silly angle?).

Geoff

2 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

All suggestions greatly received :) 

Bright star clusters, planets, double stars and variable stars. None of them is bothered much by the full Moon, unless they are located too close to it.

1 hour ago, carastro said:

But the Moon is quite flat and uninteresting at full Moon unfortunately.

Carole 

But if you are testing eyepieces by looking for and counting craters within craters within craters at x300-400 magnification it doesn't matter that the moon is full as you are only looking at a small area of its surface  ?

funny I never find the moon uninteresting, I think its a much taken for granted object, at the moment I'm doing a full phase map of the moon, i.e all moon phases on one picture, so cant wait for the full moon this month :), if its too bright then a filter will sort that

The sky was reasonably clear this evening, so got out my Skyliner 250PX and Heritage 90P Virtuoso.

The moon was sitting just above Jupiter, but the planet's two bands were easy to spot in both scopes. M44 looked good with the 32mm EP.

M81 and M82 were easily visible with the 250PX, but I could not find them with the, much smaller, 90P. I would expect to see them, using the 90P MCT, on a clear, moon-less, night.

Geoff

Archived