Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter again, 6/5/17

mikeDnight

I was clouded out until late on, when I was informed by my wife that it was as clear as a bell. After setting the scope on its mount I looked first at the Moon and the seeing was very steady, so i aimed it at Jupiter and was pleased to see a sharp and detailed view. Though steady, there was something that just took the edge off the seeing, possibly some very thin cloud, but it was well worth the effort.

Mike

2017-05-07 08.30.31.jpg

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Great sketch Mike. Helps to remind me what Jupiter looks like :( 

There are some lovely festoons around at the moment aren't there?

Yes there are plenty of festoons dropping down from the NEB . They appear a bit smokey to my eye this year compared to last, when they seemed very prominent and created a prominent equatorial band. This year most have appeared to turn northward again creating garlands. Have you had much joy seeing these features this year Stu? Your sad emoticon implies you haven't. May be its because Jupiter is lower than last year, and that may make a real difference living close to the city.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I think I've only had two decent sessions on Jupiter this year :(. A combination of weather and time. The rare clear nights often coincide with other commitments unfortunately.

The views from my garden are back over the house, so I get two better periods when Jupiter is in the gaps between houses.

50 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I was clouded out until late on, when I was informed by my wife that it was as clear as a bell.

That's the kind of wife that an amateur astronomer needs :icon_biggrin:

Great sketch, by the way ! :thumbsup:

/H.

Another lovely sketch Mike. The views I have had of Jupiter the past 2 nights have been rather disappointing. I have struggled to tweak out any of the fine detail. The seeing has been pretty good. I checked the Airy disc on Arcturus and I estimated it as a 2. The Moon was also very crisp through the eyepiece, but of course very bright. I know it is the perceived wisdom that planetary viewing is not particularly affected by moonlight, but now I am beginning to wonder.

Great minds eye vision of the big one Mike.
Lots of admiration for you sketcher guys, you must have
the patience of Job to sit and record what your eyes are looking at.
This activity must surely enhance your observational skills, and reinforces the 
message to others, that it does not do to simply glance at the object you are seeing, but study it for a while,
it's surprising how detail will reveal itself. It's a great lesson.  
I couldn't sketch if my life depended on it.

great sketch Mike, yea mate the last three nights the seeings been wonderful, out of the three night id say the 4th was the best, I got

some nice moon shots proberly my best this year, also got a few widefield Jupiter too. thanks , charl. 

Archived