sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

CCD problems

Helo, i have CCD tracer talkcam. I have done modifiing (i took out lens so CCD sensor has nothing in front, i put adapter with infrared filter).

I have problems with everything. When i put moon in focus every thing is just white. Other things are just black. I dont know which software for imaging  (free software) is best. I have sometinh that came with camera and dont have much setup to set.

Which software do you use for imaging (and what should I set up?). Does anybody have this camera?? any picture with it?? I tried some pics in daytime and magnification is veeeeery high. Am i doeing something wrong??

Everything white looking at the moon is likely to be overexposure, reduce exposure time and possibly reduce the gain setting.  It could also be out of focus, try setting the focus in the day on something distant.

The everything being black bit is likely the opposite problem in that the exposure length is too short for dimmer targets, could also be focus.

I don't know the camera so I can't help you there. For software try Craterlet (simple to use), SharpCap or Firecapture (both more versatile than Craterlet) . All three programmes are free. I suspect that your problems are due to not setting the correct exposure, the three programmes I mentioned all allow full imaging control. The field of view of webcam sized sensors is roughly that of a 6mm so it will appear to have high magnification (the correct term is image scale)

Try dropping exposure time right down to ensure the Moon is not simply saturating, as mentioned. Also, magnification come from the telescope's focal length, not the camera, as the telescope is acting as the lens in effect, so any camera will experience the same effect.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Corpze
      Thought this might be interesting for anyone who might consider a ASA mount, or anyone else who just wan't to follow my adventures trying my best in the obsy

Anyway - here is the video of me polar aligning and making a new sky model

/Daniel

• By Corpze
      Hi, I have been getting a lot of questions regarding what components my "optical test rig" has, and how to clamp the camera/laser with.

I found some new bits and pieces which makes it very simple to build your own rig

• By Corpze
      Hi - I just wanna share my latest build - based on Starlight Express optical rig in which they align their camerachip / housings before the ship them out - And i was inspired to build my own.
      I am very keen to be able to do so much adjustments and tuning to my gear during the day as possible - and this is another method of doing just that, and in this case the aligning of camera tilt which can be a royal PITA during the dark and -20 degree C.

So, here is the SX article on what i was going to build: SX Article

Note: I haven't reciieved my new camera yet so the video does not contain the actual adjustment, but as soon as i get my new camera - I will show just how it works!

/Daniel

• By Rchurt
      Hello,

I recently purchased my first telescope and camera, and now I want to make sure I have the correct Barlow or reducer to couple them together to achieve Nyquist sampling on the camera (or slight over-sampling). In case it’s important, I’m interested in planetary imaging—in theory that shouldn’t matter for this sampling question, but maybe there are other considerations to take into account.

I used this calculator (https://astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd_suitability) and plugged in my info:
      Telescope: Celestron 8 SE
      Camera: ZWO ASI462MC
      Seeing: experimented with this one, but would like to get optics that allow for poor or very poor
      Binning: prefer 1x1 to preserve spatial resolution, but could consider higher if SNR is a problem

I’ve seen on several forum posts that people often use a 2x Barlow to couple the two. However, according to this calculator, that will always lead to over-sampling. If anything, it says I should use no intermediate optics or even a reducer.

So my questions are:

Binning: Will I be able to see anything with 1x1 binning, or should I expect to need to bin to collect enough light?

Is there some other consideration that’s more important here than achieving correct sampling? It seems like most others are over-sampling, and perhaps there’s a good reason for this. If so, is there another formula that would let me determine the appropriate optics to buy?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    • By JemC
      Hi all,
      Not sure which section to put this in? getting started or cameras, (Mods please move if necessary)
      Need a little help/advice/recommendations,
      I have been away from my telescope/astrophotography for about 2 maybe 3 years, i kind of lost the mojo for it, but now looking to get back to it,  So i'm looking for camera advice/help,
      Previously i only ever used a DSLR for astrophotography, however i am thinking do i stick with that or do i get something different? I know there will be a learning curve with new camera setup,
      My area of interest is/would be Nebulae and Galaxies,i know there is no one camera fits all kind of thing, so Nebulae would be my main interest with Galaxies coming 2nd.
      My current scope is the (Older Blue Model) Sky-Watcher Evostar 80 DS-PRO ED, so with that in mind what would be a good camera to pair that with, colour or mono i'm not fussed really,
      My budget for new/2nd hand camera is £700 but could maybe stretch to £800.
      Any help/advice (good or bad) will be greatly appreciated. 
      Regards
      JemC

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.