69 members have voted

1. 1. How do you fund a new purchase?

• Savings / wages
    • Credit card
    • Bank loan
    • Gift
    • Remortgage the house!

Hi everyone,

I am interested to know how people can afford to buy such expensive toys, I would love a new scope / tripod / camera / eye piece etc., but can't afford it so how does everyone else?

Thanks!

Rick.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its like this....you can catch a fish with a £20 rod and reel from Lidl...or a £2,000 set up!...its not hard or expensive to do this hobby its only Humans that make it that way!.....my ex wife helped fund my scope, and my next one!

11 minutes ago, estwing said:

its like this....you can catch a fish with a £20 rod and reel from Lidl...or a £2,000 set up!...its not hard or expensive to do this hobby its only Humans that make it that way!.....my ex wife helped fund my scope, and my next one!

guess you still have her account and pin number :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

I generally to finance new kit buy selling other kit. Not that I buy brand new very often (which helps stretch the budget).

I've voted for savings / wages (pension in my case) because I don't take loans for anything apart from the mortgage (now paid off thank goodness !).

1 hour ago, estwing said:

Scope or wife? :happy7:

55 minutes ago, swamp thing said:

Build it myself. Saves a fortune.
Cheapskate here :hello:

Nothing wrong with being a cheapskate, and if your build is any thing like Mapsters then its going to be good

I've always been a saver, put a small amount away every month throughout my working life, always something to dip into for emergencies and luxuries.  In the past interest would add to that - not so now. 

Always try to sell used equipment for 2/3 new price if changing/upgrading, bought a whole new HEQ5 once from sales of redundant astro kit.

Carole 

I had some spare cash in my 'pin-money' fund and decided I'd buy a telescope - I guess the 'pin-money' fund falls under the category 'wages' because that is where it derives from.  I don't borrow money if I can help it - I save up and buy things outright even cars!  If I can't save up the cash I don't buy the item.

Archived